Papering prep for plasterboard wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some advice required for prepping a newly plasterboarded room I want to cross line and paper.The wall is flat and all joints taped and filled with Gyproc Easi- Fill. I plan to prime the surface with Zinsser Gardz and then size on top prior to hanging lining paper with a ready mixed adhesive called Easy paste. Does this sound OK. I was a little concerned that using a water based size might not be compatible with a glue type ready mixed adhesive. Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Don't worry, it'll be fine. As long as the paste is compatible with the paper (check this) you should have no problems. The Gardz is very accommodating - I've never come across anything which won't stick to it.

Are you planning to paint the lining paper eventually or put a decorative paper on top?

Thanks for the quick reply.I am not too sure about the finish yet. Will see how the lining paper looks. The paste is Urfurt Mav and is compatible with the lining paper. I wasn't sure if I should thin the ready mixed paste down as a size or just use the solvite flake size.

It's always best to use the same paste product to apply the various layers throughout the process, if possible.

So I would either thin the Mav stuff down if you think a size is needed, or alternatively, use the Gardz all over.

Sponsored Links
if you gardz the plaster board you won't need to apply a size. A lot of mav papers are non woven (paste the wall), they are very good. Pretty sure you can't thin their non woven paste to size, not sure about the standard paste if you go down that route.

I have watered down the Mav paste once or twice to size plastered walls and there were no problems. Agree that you shouldn't really need a size with plasterboard.

It's a thin glue or sealant applied to walls prior to papering, to lock dust particles and promote adhesion (by sealing any porous areas so that the wallpaper adhesive doesn't all get sponged up by them).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back