Parkray Chiltern - not heating radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an oil fired CH system with a Parkray Chiltern as a backup. Oil CH packed in so lit my trusty coal fueled Chiltern. There is tons of hot water but the radiators are only tepid. The pump is running and the last time we used it we were getting heat to the radiators.

The two pipes at the back of the Chiltern are extremely hot but I notice that once the pump is switched on, the lower pipes cools down fairly quickly. I'm guessing this is the cold water being pushed around the radiator system??

I check the radiators are all bled and all thermostats are fully opened.

The Danfloss thermostat gadget which sits on top of one of the pipes in the boiler room is set to the minimum - i.e. 30o.

I know next to nothing about CH systems so not sure what else I should add to this.

Would be great to have a few suggestions where to start! Will call a heating engineer out this week to service the oil burner and hopefully fix the problem with the Chiltern but guess I will have to wait a few days.

PS I posted on another forum was told it would be best to post an as fitted drawing. TBH I wouldn't know where to start!

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
Your Parkray could well provide much less output than the oil boiler (best check) if so It'll struggle to heat radiators as effectively.

What model number of Chiltern 99 or 111?

99 has a damper which need to move forward to you to get more heat, I think.

Check that the pump is pumping. It could be sludge up. The heating water must has gone somewhere.....

How is oil boiler and parkray join up?

Dan

Is the danfoss an electrical thermostat (has a wire coming out of it) or a thermostatic valve (no wire)?

It might be to stop the oil boiler hot water circulating round the parkray when the parkray isn't lit. You might need to turn it up to max if you want to join the parkray to the radiators.

Just a suggestion. I could be completely wrong.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all replies,

I think the Danfoss is electrical. I have it set to the minimum - 30o. It has a wire leading to the honeywell control panel. Tomorrow will try setting it to max.

Think its a Chiltern 111. Sorry - no idea how its' connected to the oil heating.

I think it produces hotter water than the immersion heater!

the funny thing is that before I switch the pump on the pipes entering and exiting the pump are hot to the touch. Shortly after the pump comes on both pipes cool down to tepid.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back