Part K - Stairs Bannister Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Original stairs bannister existing from the 1980's. Its of a design of that era. It has metal uprights, with horizontal wooden pieces that act as protection from falls.

I believe that if i was to remove this bannister, and fit a replacement. Any work carried out would be required to be at the 2012 Building Regulations standards, instead of those from the 1980's era.

Could this work be carried out DIY?
Would i need to nofify building control?
Do i need any structual calculations to be made, in regards to the top rail force to take 40kg per metre.?

I notice that alot of information about Part K on a few stairs websites, but nothing on the likes of eBay sellers etc.

Sponsored Links
No, replacement handrails/balusters should be no worse than before. They do not need to meet the latest regs.

If you're just renovating no need for Building Control, DIY is fine, you need to take a view on ensuring the new handrails are adequate. You will generally be able to find any answers/solutions/guidance you require on this forum in the stairs section.

Any new guarding and handrail should conform to the current regulations, but it is not controlled work so does not require a b/regs application

Its a similar situation to reglazing - which needs to meet part N but does not need an application

You seem to have the old fashioned "ranch" style horizontal rails and these do not meet current requirements in terms of being non-climbable. You can maintain as original, but new guarding would need to be non-climbable - eg vertical balustrades or solid panels

This would never get picked up by building control if done in the home, but if there were ever to be a situation were an accident occurred and a claim was made for injury, then there would be liability if the guarding was new and did not meet current regulations

You wont need calculations, as any standard or typical construction properly fitted will conform

Sponsored Links
Ok, sounds good.

At the current moment, the ranch style stairs bannister is not present. We plan to have it refitted, which we dont have the bits.

We are going to instruct a local builder/joiner to put it back like for like, to stay current with the building regs (Para 1.28 especially).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back