United Kingdom
Part numbers required for the following:

Analog clock/timer
Diverter (flow) switch
Diverter valve

Also required, approx price for the above items

Many thanks Wayne M

Sponsored Links
Spoke to the old owner of the house and She told me of the old problem.

Old problem:

When hot water was turned on. It would not switch back to central heating. A plumber was called out who has put in a temp fix by disconnecting something. His fix resulted in the heating being on permantently but with out any hot water. He informed the old owner that She would require a flow switch diverter valve?

Does this make sense? What has he disconnected? the Diverter switch I would presume. What should I look for to confirm this?

Wayne M

Were you made fully aware of the boiler faults when you purcahsed the property?

Questionaires filled out and forming part of the contract of sale by the vendor often ask them to state whether the heating system operates correctly. If they answered yes then you may have a claim against them for repairs - check with your solicitor.

I would suggest you do not start swapping boiler parts based on vaque suggestions by the previous occupier.

Sponsored Links
I bought the house off my aunty for cash. I wont be putting in any claims as I got it for a nice price but good idea :evil: :evil: :evil:

She said the guy that looked at it was a friend of my uncles but he has just moved to spain.

She trusts what he said as he had been in the business for years.

The only thing that shes not sure of is what exactly it was that he did to stop the hot water working but she remembers that he said to my uncle that he could just reconnect it if he wanted????

All that I can think of is that he disconnected the diverter switch and suggested a new diverter valve? Sound plausible?

Wayne M

It sounds very much like the HW flow switch has shorted and wont allow the htg to come on unless disconnected. Can you look in the boiler for loose harness?

rob884 said:
and wont allow the htg to come on.

htg ????

rob884 said:
loose harness?

do you mean wires ???

Sorry not up to date wich tec talk, v new to this DIY lark, but with an old house that needs a lot doing to it I guess I better learn quick!!! :D :D :D

PS the hot water would switch on it would just not switch back for the central heating??????

Also when the hot water is turned on the demand light does not come on???

Htg =heating.

If the flow switch has shorted then HW would be on all the time locking the diverter in hot water mode. Disconnecting would mean htg would work but HW wouldnt.

Lower control panel and next to the pump on the right hand side is a little black bos with 2/3 wires. White-Black maybe RED. Between this and the Circuit board will be a white connector block which would normally be connected.

Once we get this out the way then start looking at diverter etc

htg = heating :oops: :oops: :oops:

seems quite obvious now :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I'll take a look tomorrow and if it is disconnected should I rewconnect and try hot water then disconnect? would this prove your theory?

Wayne M

See your other posting (stick to one post next time - it gets confusing) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back