"Partial" Building Regs Approval?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening everyone :)

I purchased a house a couple of months back which I'm in the process of bringing up to scratch after many years of things being "fudged" to get to what the previous owner wanted to achieve.

The previous owner had created a staircase up into the loft space, and built a new floor fixed to the large binders above the ceiling joists. None of these works had Building Regs approval. I've taken the floor out, and will shortly be taking the stair out as well.

Could anyone tell me if my local Building Control Officer, or a representative from Assent etc would ever give approval for a partially complete project? By that I mean, I'm looking to rebuild the loft floor to meet current regs of 1.5kN/m2, but I only want to put the floor in. It's there for future development if in the future I wanted to fully convert the loft (or someone else wanted to after I've gone). Do I stand any chance of getting just the floor signed off?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice you're able to give.

Sponsored Links
I doubt you would get a 'partial' approval.

If you are putting a new floor in to support normal domestic loading (with no staircase) it would be a structural alteration, and you would probably be given approval - and a certificate - for a 'new loft floor' or 'strengthening existing 1st floor ceiling' or some similar wording.

If you then dared to put a staircase or ladder in, that would be a whole different ball game.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back