Party Wall Act pleasantries...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, i'm currently in the process of planning an extension and am reaching the final stages where I hope to get some quotes from builders. My AT has mentioned the Party Wall Act and said I will need to get consent from my neighbours regards works i'm doing.

I am building a 3m rear extension which is proposed to stay within the boundary line on both sides (well, up to the limit). I live in a mid terrace and as I see it will need consent for the following:

1) Removal of chimney breast.
2) Excavations for foundations (as they will be within 3m of the rear wall of the neighbouring terraces at the nearest point).

Having just spent a few hours searching for info on the PWAs it appears that any disputes can get very expensive very quickly. Assuming I have understood it right, if consent is not given I will need to appoint (and pay for) my own surveyor to draw up a party wall award (i.e. the current state of both properties prior to works being carried out), appoint or allow the neighbour to appoint their own surveyor for the same (which I also pay for) and then crack on with the work, servicing the costs of both surveyors as any enquiries with the build appear as work progresses. Have I got this remotely right?

Now, on one side I think consent will be granted. Their main concern will be over a loss of light (which I believe isn't covered under the PWA anyway) but I think they'll be happy enough to sign a notice. At this point I've just popped round informally and sent them the plans.

The other side will be a little more tricky. It is a house that has been illegally converted into flats with a lean to on the side that is being rented out by the rather unscrupulous landlord. The planning enforcement at the LA are in the process of trying to take him to court over this but can't find him as he spends most of his time at home in Egypt... I feel that getting him to sign anything that looks anything remotely legal (or even getting it to him in the first place) is simply not going to happen. And that if I sent the form and he ignores it/never sees it then within 14 days a dispute is understood to have arisen and it becomes time to appoint surveyors.

I'm considering not telling him and just starting the works. Risky I know but as I understand it once the excavations are completed the only comeback that I can have is that he could allege that I damaged his property while completing them (and sounding like a bit of a sheister, he may). However, he still has to be able to show in court that the work I have done has caused this damage and this is highly unlikely considering what is being done.

Just wondered anyone's thoughts on the above? It's not the way I like to do things but I reckon excavations could be completed before (even if) he is even aware that I was doing work - and this is assuming he is even aware of the party wall act in the first place...

Sponsored Links
...which is proposed to stay within the boundary line on both sides (well, up to the limit).
Is there alternative access into the garden through the back?

Don't underestimate the usefulness of a side passage. For bringing in landscaping/building materials, and taking away garden/tree waste. As well as access for trades: gardener, window cleaner, dyno-rod when your drain backs up.

http://www.collier-stevens.co.uk/surveyors-blog/2012/missing-party-wall-problems/
Thanks. I'd come across similar websites last night though was slightly dismayed about paying out yet more money before i've even started. Though this could happen anyway if I don't get consent.

Deluks said:
Is there alternative access into the garden through the back?

Don't underestimate the usefulness of a side passage. For bringing in landscaping/building materials, and taking away garden/tree waste. As well as access for trades: gardener, window cleaner, dyno-rod when your drain backs up.
There is none. Seems quite often the way in London - only access to the garden is through the house, extension or no extension. A good idea though! :)

Sponsored Links
Not where I used to live (in a terrace) oops north.

Anyway ban, I'm interested to know whether you get a reply back from your LA regarding whether "certificate of lawfulness" was a requirement?

A friend who's an engineer suggested that I apply for one anyway and if work is going on then it doesn't matter because it's allowed under PD. Sort of makes it seem a bit pointless to me though. :confused:

Anyway ban, I'm interested to know whether you get a reply back from your LA regarding whether "certificate of lawfulness" was a requirement?
No.

I emailed the DCLG on 08/04, and got an auto-acknowledgement to say they'd reply within 15 - 20 working days. No reply so far; I have just given them a poke.

I never emailed my council - thought I'd wait until everything was done and dusted before I risked antagonising them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back