Party Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a detached house which has been rear extended 1.2m by previous owner. I want to further extend by another 2.5m. My understanding is that I don't need planning permission for up to 4 meters extension for detached.

My neighbor has done a side extension which makes his kitchen literally 5cm from mine. I read some guideline that my extension is within 3 meters from my neighbor's but as far as I don't dig deeper than their foundation, then I don't need serve a notice. Is my understanding right?

Also we have a wall to separate the garden but the wall is fully on my side. Although my extension will be close to the wall and dig deeper than the wall's foundation. But it is NOT a party wall as the wall is fully on my side?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have a detached house which has been rear extended 1.2m by previous owner. I want to further extend by another 2.5m. My understanding is that I don't need planning permission for up to 4 meters extension for detached.

My neighbor has done a side extension which makes his kitchen literally 5cm from mine. I read some guideline that my extension is within 3 meters from my neighbor's but as far as I don't dig deeper than their foundation, then I don't need serve a notice. Is my understanding right?

Also we have a wall to separate the garden but the wall is fully on my side. Although my extension will be close to the wall and dig deeper than the wall's foundation. But it is NOT a party wall as the wall is fully on my side?

Thanks for your help!

You're not describing a shared wall, and as long as you have no plans to dig deeper than their foundation I don't believe the party wall framework needs to be applied. Additionally, under the existing permitted development framework you're allowed to extend up to 8m away from your original house (as built) so long as the neighbours agree (neighbour consultation scheme) and it doesn't violate other permitted development restrictions (such as no more than 50% of the original curtilage is to be covered by buildings)

Under similar circumstances I made the mistake of engaging in a PWA agreement. If the neighbour agrees and just signs it then it's no problem. However mine wanted to instruct a surveyor and it cost me over over £1000.

I wouldn't mind but it's a complete waste of money and imho a bit of a scam for surveyors to earn £1000 for a cut and paste job.

The lesson I learned? Since you don't know how deep your neighbour's foundations are there is no reason to suspect yours will be deeper, if you get my drift ;)

Once digging if you do find yours are deeper it's too late for the neighbour to do anything really. By the time anybody realises you'll have dug and filled them with concrete. If you damage his property then you'll need to put it right, that goes without saying whether you had a PWA or not.

Imho, in circumstances like this the PWA is a massive money making scam by surveyors

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back