PASTE OR COMPOUND?

That may be and remember I don't use it on new joints. However being as I personally don't even rely on the 'manufacturer' for boiler problems, I'll be f***ed if I'm going to call them out for a drip on a fitting.

Sponsored Links
the manufacturers state not to use PTFE as they say it will cause leaks.
Cause leaks? I don't see that here
"Conex has never recommended the use of PTFE tape on its compression fittings. If the joint is made up to the instructions, the joint will not fail (the copper tube, or plastic pipe will fail first)."

although Pegler says "use of PTFE tape or any jointing compound is not recommended for use with any compression fittings. " and seems to suggest it might if the joint was not made properly "The use of these on a compression fitting not only could create a false seal on the pipe work causing a leak, but would invalidate the warranty we offer with the product as it is not installed to our guidelines." though I don't follow his argument about a false seal, or how one might occur, if the joint was done up properly.

Does that mean that on Pegler joints, you advise against using paste too?

the manufacturers state not to use PTFE as they say it will cause leaks.
Cause leaks? I don't see that here
"Conex has never recommended the use of PTFE tape on its compression fittings. If the joint is made up to the instructions, the joint will not fail (the copper tube, or plastic pipe will fail first)."

although Pegler says "use of PTFE tape or any jointing compound is not recommended for use with any compression fittings. " and seems to suggest it might if the joint was not made properly "The use of these on a compression fitting not only could create a false seal on the pipe work causing a leak, but would invalidate the warranty we offer with the product as it is not installed to our guidelines." though I don't follow his argument about a false seal, or how one might occur, if the joint was done up properly.

Does that mean that on Pegler joints, you advise against using paste too?

So the line not only could create a false seal on the pipe work causing a leak does not mean Cause Leaks?

Do you understand how PTFE can cause a false seal on a Pegler fitting, but not a Conex one? I know that a big wodge of paste can make a joint look sound when it isn't.

I suppose that's why they advise against using PTFE "or any jointing compound"

Do you strongly advise against the use of any jointing compound in compression joints?

Sponsored Links
What is the difference between jointing compound and paste? On work experience the guy I was with used jointing compound on compression joints, I asked what it was when I first seen him using it to which he said 'Oh it's jointing compound, expands on contact with water, fooking love the stuff' :LOL:

What is the difference between jointing compound and paste? On work experience the guy I was with used jointing compound on compression joints, I asked what it was when I first seen him using it to which he said 'Oh it's jointing compound, expands on contact with water, fooking love the stuff' :LOL:

Never seen that stuff, got a link?.

this thread is funny.

jet blue every time.

if find a leak on a fitting (not mine of course) then a few wraps of ptfe around the olive works a dream.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back