PASTE OR COMPOUND?

I bought a jar of crab paste the other day, and put it in a sandwich.

It tasted awful, so I took it back to the chemist.

Sponsored Links
Since I started using PTFE on my olives, none of them have leaked.

Why would anyone listen to a DIYer, who is never wrong, ignores the experience of professionals, and needs to botch a compression joint with a couple of feet of PTFE in order for it not to leak? :rolleyes:

Less posting waffle on here, and more plumbing practice needed methinks!

Warranty on compresion fittings ?? such as ?? when you tighten them up to the given number of turns as stated in there M.I's ?? they will not leak ? has any one ever made such a claim ? & been succesful ?? I doubt it ?

Most of these warrantys do not amount to a bag of beans !

As for some one wrapping a bit of tape around an olive that has been pre tightened on a pipe , will be the cause of the joint failing , well I suppose some manus R&D dept pencil pusher had to think of some excuse for weaseling out of Doris's new ceiling claim ?? :)

Sponsored Links
Meanwhile in the real world...

The argument is flawed if we all used Conex fittings no paste or ptfe would be needed, but we cannot afford to use these fittings.
I often have to explain to a customer how a 5 year old gatevalve has packed up.
I say well if i told you a Crane gatevalve costs £50 and will last 75 years well you would be none the wiser and pay the price. but some pen pusher comes along and says well we can make it for £20 if we buy it from overseas. Then someone else comes along selling them for a tenner but the nuts are not so beefy and someone swapped out the brass conicol olives for copper hoops. So all of a sudden the perceived value of brass fittings is rockbottom and they need paste/ptfe on them

We have to put up with substandard european marked fittings with substandard nuts and thin olives.
You try getting a 42mm compression joint to exert enough pressure onto a copper olive to create a leak free joint without packing the olive with ptfe.

My current favorite is packing threads with loctite 55 then using ptfe over the top just to hold in the 55 stops its all spewing out the fitting.

The swimming pool guys on there big stuff 2" screwed joints use clear silicon on the threads works! Not sure ill be following there example though lol

Once Ive made a compression joint, I usually run a bit of solder between the base of the nut and the copper pipe. It can make undoing them again quite tricky. Dont get many leaks though.

Mr. W.

Once Ive made a compression joint, I usually run a bit of solder between the base of the nut and the copper pipe. It can make undoing them again quite tricky. Dont get many leaks though.

Mr. W.
:eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back