Patching external render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hoping for some advice please.

A while ago a window was fitted to front of house which unfortunately caused a few palm-sized areas where the render was damaged.

The fitters did fill them with some sort of mix, not a great job in my opinion, though to be fair I guess not their speciality.

Not only do they not match the surrounding render (smooth rather than a slight texture) but they seem to be washing away slowly in the rain... though that might be due to me holding off painting them, which I didn't do as they don't look right.

Its nothing too large or serious but they do need sorting before I paint the wall.

Would it be better to scrape it out and start again?
If so, what mix should I use, and should I add anything to help it bond or waterproof?

I understand from reading here 'normal' pva shouldn't be used, but the waterproof pva / sbr (?) seems to come in 5L tubs only, making it quite a pricey task for such a small job.
I've spotted Everbuild 204 in toolstation for a fiver which appears ok from the specs, but maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Any help gratefully received as always.

Sponsored Links

It's just to give you an idea of procedure.

As far as the pva goes, Pva is sometimes a choice if you don't want the wall sucking the water out of the concrete faster that normal.

Thanks for the video Crystalclear, interesting but luckily way way more than I need to get done!

Still hoping for suggestions for (cheap or small quantities) suitable pva-type products....?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back