Patchy Ceiling Paint on New Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I recently had my ceiling skimmed and left it about two weeks to dry out. We then put on two mist coats and then two layers of paint. Unfortunately this was done in a hot and sunny room, whereby it was drying very quickly. Its either hot and sunny in there or too dark to paint!

We are also very new to DIY and its our first home and we are just learning how to do things so in hindsight I think our roller technique was wrong, not keeping wet enough edges and painting over sections that had already started to dry as there is now quite big textural differences, some parts rough and some smooth. The overall effect is very patchy and because the room is so bright, as soon as the light hits the ceiling, you see patches EVERYWHERE! It is very disheartening as we wanted the room to look good but didn't really want the expense of hiring a professional...I know, if you want something done right...what I'd like to know is, is there anything that anyone can advise that would help the patchy appearance of the ceiling as it is so evident? Ive started sanding a few sections but in reality, this is only adding to the textural difference that I can see.

Would welcome any friendly advice...

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Everything you have described will cause such patchiness.

A good, uniform sanding on what you have done will help. Use thinned emulsion on any bare bits.

For subsequent coats, a high coverage emulsion should make a difference.

You have to work fast yet systematically, so be organised. Do the cutting in before the rollering. May pay for someone to cut in as you are rollering.

Very true about what you say about kepping the edge wet. Best to start in a corner, don't start in the middle.

Be sure the paint is nicely dry before you sand, and be certain to dust off properly.

Don't use cheap emulsions for the final coats.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back