patchy emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help,ive been painting my living room walls with dulux matt white,but every time iam apllying it i end up with what looks like patches and shadows,its as if paint is drying before i get the roller back on the wall,its driving me nuts please help.cheers

Sponsored Links
i had the walls skimmed about 3months ago,done the usual watered down first coat and so on,it looks like the plaster is a bit grainy in places but ive given it about 5 coats with same results,its as if paint is drying so quick before i get the next roller full on,iam using dulux matt and a harris microfibre roller,iam wondering if its worth watering paint down a bit ti see if that makes any diffrence,starting to think feck it and wallpaper instead. :evil: :mad:

You should never need to water it down(except the first coat)..Cant understand how its drying between each roller fill unless youre nipping out for a tea between dips :)
I wish all emulsions dried that quick as Id earn a lot more money :cool:

Sponsored Links
on closer inspection it seems to be patchy where the plaster looks a bit grainy ,not sure if its worth a quick sand with silicone carbide paper,iam at the end of my tether.

After a mist coat. I always thin the subsequent coats a little to help flow out.
I can't say I ever applied dulux trade matt unthinned.
Cut in first, then roll keeping the edge 'green', don't roll till roller is dry keep it loaded. i.e apply like your not paying for the paint. No texting or tea till u finish each wall ;)
Good luck

John

Always mist coat green plaster with matt emulsion thinned 25-30% & apply 2/3 coats in quick sucession to keep it wet; or use a plaster primer. If you don't, the paint won't stick properly but you may not realise that until the 1st time you decorate a few years later but it could crack & fall of the wall much earlier as it dries out!

only bits that got a light sand were a couple of (iffy) bits that i used lightweight filler on,its only when you look at it in a certain direction its noticeable,just a thought but could i lay paint on really thick on thes areas ?or do i just give up......... :(

The paint will usually look slightly lighter on smooth areas compared to the 'rougher' patches in the same way two pieces of white paper , one smooth the other 'toothed' , will seem a different tones

Finishing plaster is not meant to be sanded to any degree as this will expose the grain making some patches more absorbent than others. This leads to a patchy finish that looks a bit like a suede coat brushed the wrong way; it should cover eventually, it will just need more coats of thicker paint.

Except for the odd light trowel mark on a bad day, a newly plastered wall shouldn’t need any filler if it’s been done properly by a competent spread & the finish should never need sanding unless it’s been wrongly over polished; in this case a light buffing is all thats needed.

cheers for the replies,think i will try a few more coats,is there any reccomendations on the paint to use for a thicker coverage,cheers again guys

TRADE emulsion ( Dulux, Crown etc.,) from a TRADE shop, its thicker/undiluted unlike DIY (Homebase/B&Q etc) stuff ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back