Patchy when painting ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm redecorating my bathroom and am having problems with painting the ceiling. It was originally covered by polystyrene tiles which I have removed and steamed/scrapped off the adhesive, but some of the paint on the ceiling flaked off leaving patches. I've sanded down the ceiling and given it several coats but the patches where the paint flaked are still showing through. The patches seemed to dry with an orange peel raised texture with a bit of an off-white colour but seems a bit better this morning (although still has the raised texture).

I'm not sure what else to try. The paint I have is about 2 years old and a budget brand, so wasn't sure if buying a new better one would work better?
Do I need some special primer? I have acrylic wood primer, would this work? Will I need a skim (trying to avoid as I can't do it myself)? HELP!

Sponsored Links
It's differing substrata the bare areas needed priming and painting to achieve the same texture as the old paint.
Cheap paint will not help either, if you want a guaranteed answer to a good smooth surface put up lining paper, chances are it is only a little ceiling and two coats of good quality paint something like Dulux diamond matt.

Otherwise just keep applying coats till you build up a smooth even texture :unsure:

Thanks mate.
I bought new paint yesterday (albeit Wilkos own make but the brilliant white one, not thd very cheap one) and after resanding the whole ceiling and two coats it looking pretty good. There's still one strip where I filled a crack and the filler is still showing through and raised a little but I'll try sanding that bit down again. The rest of the ceiling is fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back