Patio Door Lock Help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am having major issues with trying to change my sliding patio door lock , so any help would be appreciated! It is a UPVC CR Smith door, around 10 years old, and after having the key snapped in it, I have removed the barrel, I then bought just a new barrell hoping that would solve the problem, but then the whole lock mechansim seemed to fail! I have removed the handle and have the exisiting lock ready to come out, but it appears its held in palce by a metal rod running the length of the door...any ideas on how I get the lock out? Do I have to remove the door now? Also can I just put back in a standard lock in its place or do I need to replace like for like? I am happy enough to put in a standard mortice lock if I can.

Sorry for the ramble, but desperate for advice!

Sponsored Links
Don't how you've gone from a simple snapped key barrel change to a full on mechanism failure :confused: The rod you talk about is the shoot bolt and is most likely screwed in, to take these out so it releases the centre lock means the slider has to be taken of the runners and lay on its side, this will be a job for a competant DIYer or a locksmith/double glazing doctor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back