patio doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Brickies have just started my extension
I am going to end up with a structural opening of 1850mm wide x 1830 heigh, that will be filled with a pair of patio doors.

Without going into huge amounts of detail, that is what i will have as a opening...im worried that by time i have finished I will have a door (clear height ) of around 1770mm (this is low I know) anyone had anything this low installed before, and can say that they are ok with it!??

Russell

Sponsored Links
Those tall enough may bump their head on it, probably more than once until they get used to it. Why so low?

Thats my worry (sore heads)

Reason its so low is that the roof line of the house comes down to ground floor and the rafters project through, the dproposed french doors are in what will be the extension.

I realise i could form a raised square dormer type situation to give the doorway some "height" but it will look a pigs ear, espesially as i would need to have another down pipe and drain as the guttering wpould be broken into two sections by introducing door.

Im sure it will be ok...anyone know of any regs saying it is not right!!??

Russ

1770mm clearance is ridiculous, you need to have a rethink before you build something you may regret.

2.1m is a standard opening height, so you need to be looking at achieving something near to this.

Sponsored Links
any body got a regulation that would stop me doing it

Soory noseall, but dont like the use of the word "ridiculous" you would have to know the constraints Mate.

Well it is ridiculous, ordinarily such a daft door would make the project a non starter or a different design adopted.

The only reg I can think that will stop you is having 2m clear headroom on a fire escape routes but I think that only applies to non domestic so you're OK.

Well I find it hard to believe that bco will sign anything off with a door that small.

jesus christ man this place is so negative and standardised...

can see that all anyones gonna get here is stupid comments.

jesus christ man this place is so negative and standardised...

can see that all anyones gonna get here is stupid comments.
Your post has been answered and sensibly I might add, you cannot expect to get peoples opinions on your patio door though its an open forum!

Perhaps, scan the drawing(s) of the extension that shows the variables of the area in question - rafters, FFL etc. and maybe other solutions will be proposed.

Soory noseall, but dont like the use of the word "ridiculous"

Try "impractical" then.

Build the opening with a header that low and you will be building a white elephant and devalue your property.

Either step the floor down or build the section of the roof above the door, up.

I thnk by the time you level the patio cill up and deduct the door profile top and bottom your clear height is going to be more like 1700mm. What system you installing??? Ali, pvc, timber??

See Drawing below.

View media item 57440
The doors are shown and you will see a window to the right hand side, this window is existing, to me it seems low fine as i look at the window from inside and relate that to headroom,

all I really want is a aesthetic view on a patio door that is as wide as it is high, Not sure why somebody thinks the house would be devalued.

Surely, with 2 1/2 Acres of land, a mature orchard, a 1/2 acre productive vineyard, 4 stables, other well renovated outbuildings, a large vegetable garden, a 20m productive polytunnel, parking for over 20 cars, planning permission for a double garage, the house extended and renovated throughout, and exclusive fishing rights on the upper river severn which backs onto the "smallhiolding", why on earth should some twit advise me that a low door is going to devalue my house!!.

Russell

Any mention of devaluation is nonsense, there are plenty of dwarf anglers who would love to purchase ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back