PC can receive mail but not send

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I am away from home and using an old PC, that used to work at home. I did a settings transfer in case it was out of date, and have done Windows Update. At home I have Virging Broadband but have some email accounts that are still ntlworld.com

It has the same mail accounts as I use at home, same passwords, and I am connecting via my mobile phone which connects to a Vodafone using a USB. IE8 works OK and Email Receive works OK, so teh connection is good. But when I try to Send mail I get message

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'blobby', Server: 'smtp.ntlworld.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '421 aamtaout03-winn.ispmail.ntl.com connection refused from [212.183.132.20]', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 421, Error Number: 0x800CCC67

I have a feeling that maybe something at the ISP mighgt have changed in the 2 or 3 years since I used this machine.

Looking at email account properties, I have

incoming mail POP3
pop.ntlworld.com
server port 110

outgoing mail SMTP
smtp.ntlworld.com
server port 25

secure connection SSL not ticked

What should I be looking at?

I searched on the error message number on Help but not found.

Sponsored Links
I tried ticking " my server requires authentication" under "outgoing mail server" but no help.

However, I just noticed that I also have some email accounts on virgin.net

where the SMTP says "mail.virgin.net" and these DO send mail OK

On these the box IS ticked

You cannot contact the virgin (ntlworld) SMTP (outgoing) server using an internet connection from another ISP, Vodafone in your case.....ISP's block this to ensure that they are only delivering mail from their customers and not SPAM etc...from anyone on the Internet. You will also notice that SMTP servers typically do not require any authentication (e.g. user and password). I say typically as some companies are now offering SMTP relay servers for a cost....depends on how many e-mails you want to send.

Are you able to use the Vodafone SMTP server for your outgoing e-mail ? Give it a go but don't be surprised if you can't as most ISP's only allow the sender address to be a domain registered with them e.g. Vodafone.co.uk.

You can always use web mail at

http://webmail.ntlworld.com

Sponsored Links
I have same I can receive mail from old Freeserve account but not send that's normal when not using their connection. Same with web pages if I want to alter anything on old freeserve pages I have to use dial up.

I have same I can receive mail from old Freeserve account but not send that's normal when not using their connection. Same with web pages if I want to alter anything on old freeserve pages I have to use dial up.

As the person above said - ISPs rarely allow connection to their outgoing email servers from machines not connecting through their equipment - e.g. you cannot send emails via Virgin when connecing from a Tiscali account.

This is standard practice to prevent spamming (officially). What the real reason is that the ISP (Virgin in the above example) will not receive revenue if you are not using their facilities.

I would suggest using their webmail (if they have it).

This is an annoyance if, like me, you like to move ISPs to get the best deals. You have to either use Webmail, or keep updating your contacts with your new email address.

What I have done, is to buy my own domain from a provider who allows connections from anywhere. This way I always keep the same addresses, and can still "shop around" for my ISP. The domain costs approx £10 a year - so not most for a very flexible solution.

All you need is Vodafone SMTP settings. Had to do this a few times when I have changed ISP, and had quite a few to do at work when we changed ISP too.

Vodafone link says

The outgoing is
smtp.vodafone.net and then use the authentication details from your Vodafone Mail account (user name and password).

I don't know the Vodafone password or mail account. It seems to be pre-programmed into the phone.

Anyway, I have been using a Virgin dongle, and it still doesn't work. I have phoned the Virgin Hell desk who asked for my Outlook Express settings and said they are all correct but maybe my installation is wrong.

No much help :rolleyes:

I deleted and reloaded all my mail accounts, the error message is now

"One or more messages in your Outbox do not have a valid account specified. Would you like your default account to send these messages?"

if I click Yes it fails and says

"An unknown error has occurred. Account "blobby (NTL). " Server smtp.ntlworld.com" Protocol SMTP Server response 421 aamtaout04-winn.ispmail.ntlcom connection refused from [149.254.200.216]" Port:25. secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 421, Error number: 0x800CCC67

:( I tried that and couldn't find anything wrong

Although a select number of ISPs block alien/competator's SMTP servers most dont.

Orange are one of the crap services that do.

Another way around this issue is to use ssl with a different smtp port number (typically 465- which is supported by Gmail).

That said I dont think any of the suggestions will help as I think that the problem is with outlook and not the ISPs

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813514

Has a list of suggestions- I would be inclined to recommend method 2- creating a new profile.

Post back if you need help doing this

I complained to Virgin Mobile again, their "help" person said that there was a a different SMTP that I could get off my ISP (Virgin Media). I said I've tried Virgin Media and they told me to use the usual one. Virg Mo person then said tha Outlook Express doesn't work very well with Mobile :rolleyes: and would I like to use Webmail instead.

I said NO!

They are sending me a post-paid pack to return the useless thing

So their incompetence is costing them the revenue they could have made out of me :D

What you are experiencing is normal. You can only send mail through stmp.ntlworld.com when connected to an ntlworld/virgin internet connection (either dial up, ADSL, or Cable).]

This is to stop anyone sending mail through their servers. Without these restrictions I or anyone could send mail through SPAM their servers. You need an open mail relay, or ask what ever ISP you are conencted to now to allow your ntlworld address to be relayed (whcih they will probabyl not do)

Best bet is to use the Virgin webamil to send when away from home.

Sponsored Links
Back