PC not keeping up

Glad to say that I have now successflly downloaded Avira Antivirus.
have therefore tried to uninstall Spyware Doctor with Antivirus but i get the message "Error while unpacking Code2.Report to author" which I don't understand??

As you say I now have:-
PC tools Firewall
Threatfire
Win patrol
SAS(Super anti Spyware)
But what is MBAM?
I have "A squared ant-malware" Is that it?
Verification today that my money has been paid back to paypal
Grateful thanks
chappell

Sponsored Links
To get rid of the SpywareDr which will not go, download MoveOnBoot
Once installed, open it either from Desktop Shortcut or in All Programs list.
Drag the Spyeare Dr folder or browse to where it is and click Open.
MOB will ask what you want to do with it, select Remove.
Reboot as instructed and it will be gone.

MBAM is short for Malwarebytes AntiMalware. It is really worth having installed alongside SuperAntiSpyware (SAS).

Remember that they DO NOT offer real-time protection and are there as scanners to be run manually by you about once a week. If you have them both run them 3 or 4 days apart, and always check for updates before scanning.

A-Squared is another that does not provide real-time protection so if you have SAS and MBAM I would not bother with another scanner.

NOTE! Most Free versions of AntiSpyware software do not provide ‘real-time’ cover. They are ideal for weekly scans and removal of infections, but do not prevent your computer getting infected.

WinPatrol, Windows Defender, Spyware Terminator and Spyware Blaster are real-time system protectors. Also Spybot Search & destroy has the ‘Tea-timer’ as real-time protection.

For active protection I use Spyware Blaster. The shortcut sits on your desktop and all you need do is open it about once a week and check for updates. It monitors any changes in your browser homepage and you can take a snapshot of your system settings anytime, so that if ever your system is infected, you can restore your system settings from it.

Glad to hear that you got your money back.
dave

I would advise against TeaTimer as it definitely slows the system down. Winpatrol and Threatfire cover the real time protection against spyware. Winpatrol monitors for new startup items/new services, threatfire stops programs from contacting the internet and provides a rootkit scan.

Good day Gentlemen
I think I now have it O'K. All programs loaded as you suggest. computer running well,no problem typing. Just one glitch.
When loading Spyware Blaster I've got the message "Error while unpacking program code2. report to author"
Should I cancel and start again?

Sponsored Links
It could be the Windows firewall that is running along with the other one. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Security Centre

In the right hand window there should be a green dot alongside 'Firewall'.
Click the down arrows and it will report which firewall is running.
Then click on Windows Firewall and make sure there is a dot in the Turn off Windows firewall.
It will moan at you but ignore it as you have better protection than Windows supplies.

dave

Hi Dave
Did as you suggested ,pc tools firewall plus is running, windows firewall turned off. Uninstalled blaster then tried to download it afresh. It was not having it ,same message came up code 2 etc.
There were 3 sites I could have downloaded it from. Should I try a different site?

Which version was you trying to download.

v4.2 from here:
http://download.cnet.com/SpywareBlaster/3000-8022_4-10196637.html?tag=mncol
is the one I use.

You can try FileHippo if that is not one of the three you have tried:
http://filehippo.com/download_spywareblaster/

or MajorGeeks:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/SpywareBlaster_d2859.html

If you are still having problems then it must be some software that you already have installed.

Try Windows defender instead:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx

dave

Hi Dave
I think you have shown me the problem.
I already have Windows Defender. Does that mean that I don't need Blaster?
chappell

Win Def wasn't in your list at the top of this page so I didn't know you had it.

It is fine, and it does its own updating automatically so just stick with that.

You now have sufficient protection, just update SAS and MBAM every couple of days and run a quick scan with each once a week but about 3 days apart, one on Sunday and the other on Wed/Thursday or some time gap like that.

dave

Hi Guys
It is now Sunday night and computer is running well. Ran the SAS scan this morning. found 2 trackers which were deleted. Great.
When I came in tonight to turn off, "PC tools Doctor with antivirus" had had run a scan and found some problems. Wanted me to buy it to get rid of them. I thought, I don't need that now and tried to uninstall it, but got the message
"Error while unpacking code 2 report to author".
How can I get round that please?
Regards chappell

You will then want another antivirus program to replace it.
See my list at the top of the forum, and click on AVast or Comodo. If youselect Comodo only use the AV part of the download as you already have a firewall, if I remember correctly.

Download MoveOnBoot
and install it.

Open it and either browse to the PCtools Doctor and clik it or drag the shortcut into the MoveOn Boot. Select remove and let it shot down and reboot the computer. It will be removed.

dave

It sounds like you may have block the uninstallation program with your firewall therefore making unable to run.

Morning Guys
O'K I've got rid of "pctools doctor with antivirus"
My list now reads:-

Move on boot
Hijack this
MAM
Registry mechanic
Avira anti virus
SAS
Win Def
Win patrol
Threatfire
PC tools Firewall
I reckon I must be well covered.
Any more to move or let them all stay?
Regards chappell

Sorry daozen I'm probaly being a bit thick ,but what do you mean by providing a link to windows defender

Sponsored Links
Back