PD Loft conversion - ballpark cost for drawings?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have drawn up a plan for my loft conversion!
https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1j1892-Z-j7cA6FyWFpsxWZ4fYTez29zCGqYt5Y4_1Rg/edit?usp=sharing

I hope to have it done under permitted development. I think that as far as my rough plan goes, the only real question is on the stairs - i.e. will there be 2m clearance all the way up under the valley? I will obviously need an architectural technician to measure up and do the mechanics etc. anyway.,....

Any idea how much I should be paying somebody to produce structural drawings in compliance with build regs for permitted development jobs?

I am still waiting to hear back from the local council about the windows in the gables.

Sponsored Links
Might be an idea to draw it up in 3D. There are free 3D drawing packages out there, my preference is for Google SketchUp (sorry, Trimble SketchUp now). Originally created for drawing buildings into Google Earth, it's now used by architects for 3D visualization of all sorts of schemes

You'll be able to make judgements as to whether stuff fits far faster and cheaper than hiring someone to come and use a tape measure. That said, it's far easier to load the problem on someone else so you'll have to pick your poison

Take 25 minutes (total) out of your life to watch the first 3 episodes in this series, and then you'll know whether you want to use that particular drawing program and whether it'll help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL01iW9DAEU

That looks pretty cool. Just watched the first. Might have to give that a go.

Assuming that I get the whole design sorted out myself, what steps are required to produce the required drawings for construction? Can I just get a structural engineer to work on my own Sketchup drawings?

The real guys probably work with big guns like AutoCAD. To export to autocad yourself, you'd need to buy the full version of SketchUp or a plugin that will do it (cheaper than full SU, because full SU includes more stuff that you may never need)

That said, SU free version *can* print to scale and output PDFs to scale, which a pro could then import to autocad as a layer and draw on top of - should result in a reduced fee

And, of course, your SE might not even need this. It's quite likely that your BCO will tell you which bits you need an SE for, you can call the SE round and say "this wall, opening here, 3m wide.. specify me a lintel" - your plans won't even be required, necessarily

The amount of info you go into on buildings regs drawings can be quite extensive and I dare say it'd likely be worth engaging an AT for that part if you're going that route (full plans rather than building notice - fp is more normal for extensions I believe) for a few reasons
1) they should already know the regs - you'll spend countless hours paging through approved documents just to find out how to describe the staircase, or bannisters, or width of the door on the downstairs WC. time's money - and though it's not hard, it's very time consuming
2) you'll have a full set of plans that specifies exactly what you want and your builder will quote from it, and build to it. plans form the authoritative reference of "who was wrong" in any potential dispute
3) getting something rectified on paper is far cheaper than getting something rectified after it's built wrongly

As noted first off; good ATs will be able to work off your plans in PDF or DWG format and doing that element of the design yourself saves them time and effort. You'll be amazed how many times you will end up tweaking or changing something so if that part of the process stays in your head it's a boost

Key:
Architectural Technician
Structural Engineer
Building Control Officer

Sponsored Links
Thanks

Council came back with "I can advise you that I was unable to find any conditions which removed permitted development rights with regards to loft conversions at the above property."

So that is good news - I can have proper windows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back