Petrol lawn mower woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I started the petrol lawn mower last week (Mountfield HP184) and it started relatively easily, but once started seemed to be going full speed (the cutter, it's a push one). It sounded almost to fast and didn't sound right. I stopped it and restarted and again it sounded too fast.

I changed the position of the throttle and it didn't make any difference apart from when it right up the choke end. This slowed it down to a normal(ish) speed. After about a minute it conked out and wouldn't start again.

I checked whether the throttle cable was snagged and it wasn't.

One confession is that is does have last seasons fuel in it. Today, I'm going to change the fuel, but any ideas as to what's going on?

Could it be just dodgy fuel? I would have thought this would make it slower (rougher) not quicker?

Sponsored Links
Nothing to do with the fuel, but do check the throttle linkage (usually beneath the air filter, but it depends on which engine you have). See that its actually connected at the carburettor end, and that the governor linkage does actually move.
Often mowers with no self propulsion have only two speeds anyway - fast for normal cutting, and slightly slower with the throttle shut.
John :)

Thanks, I took the cover off and had a good clean, then tried again and thankfully it started and seems to be normal, thanks for your reply.

Sponsored Links
I have a hover with a suzuki M120X engine.... I need spares like air filter etc...
Ive searched high and low
can anyone please tell me where i can get parts for this popular engine in the UK.
[email protected] (Paul) thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back