petrol lawnmower advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, first post. After some advice regarding potentional lawnmover purchase for 87 year-old father-in-law. He's very independant, and determined to continue to mow his own lawns. There's three in total,ranging from small to medium/large, none of which are flat. He currently has a pretty basic Sovereign petrol self-propelled lawmower (typical homebase variety), but it's bit on the quick side for him, and it tends to run away with him as soon as he lets the clutch out. So , what we're after is one that has a variable speed setting. Local lawnmower dealer has suggested this one - http://shop.jungle-busters.co.uk/ep.../?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122164/Products/MB545VM - it does seem to offer what we're after, although a bit on the pricey side. Any members throw me any pointers for alternatives? TIA

Sponsored Links
For that sort of money, I would go for a Honda mower.

They start first time and are very easy to use.

Or have you thought about an electric mower? (with RCD plug fitted to lead)

Andy

I really recommend the Honda Izy range. Self propelled (apart from the basic one), light weight, reliable and they almost start themselves.
John :)

Thanks for comments so far. Doesn't have to be petrol, but the only self-propelled electric model I've seen is the Atco Windsor range. Local Atco dealer described it as a "pile of sh*te", and refuses to stock it as he's had so many problems with them. So, only requirements are that it's self-propelled with variable speed. Any further recommendations most welcome.

Sponsored Links
I can also recommend the Honda Izy, I have one, well i am selling it soon, as i have tiered my garden so i now use a small electric one.

It's the Honda Izy HRG465SD (I think) - I am sure it has variable speed, but not used it for a over a year.

i also have a self propelled Honda izy, 16" one i think. i got it from costco quite cheap a few years ago. easy to use, variable speed and is pretty easy to start.

I believe the izy is made in europe somewhere and are the cheapest range of Honda's so are not quite to the same build quality as the pro ranges though.

that said, the only problem I've had was that it would die randomly, figured out it was because I was over tightening the fuel filler cap too much. other than that blip, it's pretty reliable for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back