Petroleum jelly in hair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please help me? My 19 month old son got into a jar of vaseline and had it everywhere. I was able to get it off of his skin but I am unable to get it out of his hair. Any suggestions? I have tried shampoo, liquid soap and regular soap.

Sponsored Links
I remember reading somewhere that vinegar would work, but I havn't tried it. Vinegar is slightly acidic, so you would obviously want to be careful putting it on the scalp of one so young, loads of rinsing with water afterwards etc.
Your local chemist might be able to suggest something else?

Either your son is very small or you've got ridiculously large tubs of vaseline about. Try a haircut, then tissues to wipe of and absorb the vaseline. What's left won't hurt and will gradually be absorbed into a healthy scalp. The hair will soon grow back.

Does someone know how to remove petroleum jelly from a 14 yr old's hair? I don't know what article she read but this is terrible Please respond..

Sponsored Links
I have just recently had the fun of trying to get Vaseline out my daughter's hair. The suggestions that were made to me were peanut butter and then wash thoroughly OR cornstarch. It should absord most of the grease. Just pat it in, don't rub, then wash. Good Luck!

I'm not sure if I can post brand names, but we had to wash my three yr olds hair three times with Dawn dish soap. Third times a charm when you let Dawn get"grease Out of your way". We tried Dove and Joy too.

My five year old had head lice, and the local health department suggested I saturate her hair with vaseline and let it soak under a shower cap for eight hours! I did this and it did kill the live lice, but the nits are still there as is the vaseline. It's been almost a week now, I'm still picking out nits, and the vaseline is awful. I don't recommend this solution to anyone. I tried detergent, dish detergent, shampoo, and liquid detergent, nothing works. I read on here to try vinegar, so that will be my next step. I'll let you know if it works. Also, how come clean children get lice? I had no clue she had it and I wash and comb her hair everday!

I bet you didn't know lice can jump, that is how they get (pardon the punn) ahead.
with kids playing as they do lice jump from head to head

My 11 year old went to her sister this week end and she came back with petroleum jelly in her hair because my 23 year old children had head lice. Now I am fighting getting this out on top of that my 11 year old and I are sick with that flu that is going around so we get to go to the doctor like this and it is New Years I will try the vinegar and the dawn dish soap I have washed her hair in dawn once already I just do not know what else to do

There is a product called Swarfega, available from Halfords and DIY stores etc... it's customerly used to wash your hands after getting grease etc on them but can be used on the hair, at least my can hasn't got any warnings to the contrary. Once you remove the grease from the hair you'll need wash it with a decent shampoo. Hope this helps.

my children have also gotten headlice from a little girl down the street. what a horrible experience, our pediatrician recommended the vasoline bit, never again, will we do this, but the school nurse said to wash the hair first in baby oil then dawn detergent. havent tried this baby oil thing yet, but since we have already been through a whole bottle of shampoo, dish soap and baking soda, I am going to give it a try, what can it hurt!!

Try putting cornstarch on the vaselined hair. Pat it in and let it set for a minute or 2. Then shampoo with a shampoo that is clearly marked clarifying twice. Comb out and air dry. This should get most of it out. If it doesn't completely work, repeat after 24 hours.

I tried all the suggestions to get the Vaseline out of my daughter's hair(cornstarch, repeated use of Dawn dish soap, vinegar, household degreaser, baby powder, a hairdryer and paper towels) and none of them worked until I finally resorted the one suggestion that looked to me like it would only make things worse. Much to my surprise, it worked like a charm! Saturate the hair in baby oil, rub in through the hair completely, then sqeeuze out as much as you can. Next, wash the hair three times with Dawn dishsoap. Vaseline is gone! :D

Good luck!
Laura (mom to 5)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back