Peugeot 106 1.5 clutch problem!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Peugeot 106 diesel 1.5 has started to make a very loud off tone noise when I put the clutch pedal down. It is a 1998 reg and has 104K on the clock. I can still get the gears in and the clutch does not slip. I have recently had a new clutch cable put in, so i do not think this is causing the issue. Does anyone know if this is a sign that the clutch is on the way out?

Sponsored Links
This is a problem with the clutch release bearing, Hannah.....it won't get any better, and needs to be renewed when the clutch is replaced. You can leave it for now, but it will get worse!
At your sort of mileage, the clutch will be quite well worn anyway I would imagine - its a fairly small unit.
John :)

Yes as John said ................
You will need a clutch kit when "you go in" price it on E-Bay if you want, but the labour will be high, as its an involved job. The clutch lives between the engine and the gearbox, so the gearbox has to come out. Ask your local mechanic for a rough price before you get it done. It might last for a good while as it is. Keep your foot off the pedal as much as possible, especially at the traffic lights and the like.
Might be worth checking the engine for oil and ask your mechanic if indeed the noise is coming from the clutch, as sometimes the engine thrust washers can give the same symptoms.
Don't overspend on a car of that age, unless you intend to keep it for ever ..........

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much for your replies, I had a feeling this was the problem. I bought the car for 200 pounds two years ago and it isn't in a good state so I will scrap the car when the clutch goes.

Back