Peugeot 2.0 HDI problems diagnosis anyone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I bought a Peugeot 2.0 HDI to fix up got a really good deal that I couldn't say no to.

problems:

Engine management light is on so its in limp mode at the min. Tried disconnecting negative on batt for a few mins to reset but just comes straight back on.

Two leaking injectors on left side of engine. Not ridiculously bad though, just bubbling a bit & letting some diesel out

Car cuts out randomly every couple of minutes.. Mostly when I lift foot off accelerater or when I downshift.

It runs perfect when stationary, I could leave it running all day & it wouldn't cut out. Everything is fine apart from that, low mileage (100k)

Oh only other issue is when I turn key to cut off engine it runs for a couple of seconds then switches off, maybe a timing issue or linked to injector problem?

Any help or input would be much appreciated guys - cheers

Sponsored Links
The first thing to do is to get the fault codes read that are stored on the on board computer.
Then, after seeing what they are, they can be cleared and then observed to see which codes reappear.
The fact that the engine doesn't stop immediately could indicate low fuel pressure at the common rail which could be your next investigation.
John :)

Thanks for the input John, I'm trying to find a ecu reader that's compatible with this vehicle. Messaged a few companies on eBay but no luck. Most are petrol only or petrol & diesels but only post 2004 diesels. If u know anywhere that sells one compatible with mine would be much appreciated mate

Sponsored Links
I would guess you'll need an OBD 2 reader as against an EOBD one....however vehicles of this age often required more specific software for their reading tools. Is there a garage near you offering Bosch diagnostics by any chance? I'd hate you to buy gear just to find its useless - its happened countless times before!
John :)

You need to find someone with a Lexia, if you look on The French car Forum there is a list of owners, you may find one near you.

I assume this is a 406 which will have the 8 valve Hdi engine, best one ever made in my opinion they seem to go on forever, I have one that's done 243,00 miles, still with the original clutch a DMF and most other things.

If the injectors are leaking diesel that will only be the leak off pipes, quite an easy job. Most running problems are caused by the HP pump pressure regulator, they have a very fine stainless steel filter on the end which blocks up. I haven't been able to successfully clean one yet but there are plenty on ebay for not to much money. The engine run on is also a symptom of the pressure regulator.

Peter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-H...93-Used-L-k-/121778354532?hash=item1c5a8e3964

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
1 if everyone is saying the engine run on is caused by low fuel pressure in the common rail and you have leaks at the injectors then surely the pressure cannot build up in the common rail so that's a good bet.
2 if the engine management light and limp home mode is on then with the symptoms you are saying at the injectors I'd say the seals have gone. There is a copper seal down the injector hole and a plastic affair in the bore at the top of the hole which is supposed to stop any leakage also, though how god only knows. I had the same symptoms on a c1, you can reset the codes but if you don't do the injectors it will go back into limp mode. If the injectors are held in with a fork pressing on the body and one securing bolt then be careful when replacing as there isn't a given torque for this bolt and it can shear off. The injectors can also be tight, very, in the bore due to carbon build up. Be very careful getting them out they could shear. Don't grip the injector body too tightly or internal damage could result. You will need to remove the carbon build up down the injector hole, do not let this fall into the cylinder. Fit new seals and to be honest if the injectors are out get them tested. Seals and testing available on ebay.
3 all the info states replacing injector input pipes but I haven't and had no leaks, don't strain them. Don't get near the pipes with the engine running if there is a diesel leak it can be injected into you, if it is it needs to be a part of the body easily cut off otherwise good night Vienna.

While injector failure is possible its very unusual on these engines as you will see if you check the price of secondnand injectors on ebay, that's not to say its not possible though so its worth checking. All the running problems I have had with this engine has been down to the pressure regulator.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Back