Peugeot 206 rear brake locked on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Nieces 206 1.1 got stranded when the rear brakes locked on :eek: Mis-operation is suspected, but has anyone come across this before? Anyways, her breakdown service got it the short distance home for her and I've been trying to fix it.

I found the handbrake lever had no slack and the cables were tight, so I backed off the adjuster at the lever and managed to get one wheel turning freely. Unfortunately the other wheel is still locked absolutely solid. It won't turn either way even under engine power, the drum won't budge and there's no way it's going to pull off to get at the internals.

I don't know how the mechanism works but I suspect that the self adjuster is at the root of this. Is there any way to back off the shoes with the drum in place or is there any other non destructive way around this? Before I take a hacksaw to it!

Sponsored Links
I had my wifes shoes lock on, I had to use a very big puller to get the drum off after removing the big nut in the middle (which must be renewed).

Another way is to obtain new drums, or a drum from a scrapped car.
Then smash old drum off with a lump hammer, cast iron is brittle once you have put a crack in it, removal should be easy.
The cause is probably seized ratchet adjusters, would need to free these up, before reassembling.

Wotan

Thanks for the replies guys.

A new drum isn't expensive but as they're integral with the hub I don't know if the original wheel bearing can be easily swapped over or if it'll need replacing too? That'll have to be plan B.

Plan A then. I''m going to see if I can borrow a puller, and I just realised a bit of heat should expand it and make it easier. Don't worry, I'm not going carbonise the cylinder seals :)

Sponsored Links
9 times out of 10 the problem will be the brake lining material has parted company with one of the shoes.....this is very common, and its due to moisture getting into the join between shoe and lining. The moisture rusts and expands, lifting the lining away. It happens to any make of vehicle with bonded shoes - any rivetted ones naturally get away with it. Try hard to spin the drum against the natural direction of rotation, but more than likely you'll need a puller to get enough force onto the drum. There's a good chance that the shoe hold down clips will be damaged, but there's no way past this...the drum should survive. If it doesn't, have a new bearing put into the new drum - don't use the old one. Do one side at a time, so you can see where the bits and bobs go. Cheers John

Oh, yes, thrown it's shoes I'm afraid, You won't pull em off, it needs a lot of brute force, and is a pig of a job. Quickest to smash them off.

I managed to pull both of them off when this happened on my wifes 206.

It was a big 2 prong puller, but once on they came off OK.
Then the linings fell out :D

I understand that you can make one with a big plate, bolted onto the wheel bolt holes with a big bolt through it.

See here.
IMO it's worth trying a puller before you have to totally scrap the hubs by destroying them.

Sorry I don't know how to post images but the puller for this one is Machine Marts Clarke CHT 240 @ £22.98. The hub will come away no problem. Cheers John

this is the puller Burnerman is suggesting.

Looks the part to me.

Measure the distance between the wheel bolt holes to check they are within 150mm before buying.

The elongated holes on this jobbie have fitted any of the drums I've had to heave at....its a good idea to securely bolt the thing down with the wheel bolts and make sure its central before tightening up.

I'm pretty good at improvising tools and a rummage round the garage usually turns up something that can be adapted, but I'm hoping I'll be able to borrow a puller from a mate. If he can find it :)

Ended up destroying the drum and bearing with an angle grinder to get it off. :eek: It wouldn't budge with a puller, even after I split the drum to release its grip and got it turning.

Linings were detached from the shoes :rolleyes:

Thanks for letting us know the outcome, Blondini, it helps others, when the remedy of fault is disclosed.
Did you manage to find any rivited linings?

Wotan

Didn't even occur to me to look for rivetted linings. I was quite fed up at that point and we just got replacement shoes from the nearest factor. (The replacement drum was a used one that a neighbour had lying around. Stroke of luck there!)

Sponsored Links
Back