Peugeot 306 D Turbo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So i am thinking of servicing my 1996 car myself so thought i may ask a few questions first as i havnt serviced a car since my b reg fiesta!!
Really tips and things to look out for i.e oil filter fuel priming etc?
also best place to buy spares please and best oil to use

thanks

Sponsored Links
One of the easiest cars to do, fortunately...you'll get all of the service parts from a good motor factor or GSF, Eurocarparts etc.
The sump plug may be a 6mm male square so be prepared for that, and use a new genuine sump seal too.
If the fuel filter has 4 allen bolts on the lid and is on the front of the block, no probs with that either.....if it has the screwed ring fastening best post back and I'll take you through it.
For oil, use a 10 or 15/40 semi synthetic diesel oil, to B3 standard.
John :)

thanks for the reply. Yeah any other advice would be really well accepted thanks.
I am competent just rusty!!!

Quoting your reg. number, collect all of the service parts from the motor factor.
Start with oil, sump seal and oil filter, followed by an air filter and fuel filter. If your car has A/C you may want to consider a cabin filter too.
Check the sump plug for this 6mm internal square I'm on about - it may have a large hexagon on it too. Either way, be sure you can undo it!
Drain the oil when the engine is warm, and when its draining, spin off the oil filter too. Prime the new filter as much as you can with new oil, and smear some on the rubber ring before you reassemble.
Clean out the dead insects and leaves from the air cleaner box.
Identify the fuel filter, on the front of the cylinder block. Is the lid held on by 4 5mm allen screws? Also look for the rubber priming bulb that you squeeze to fillthe filter up once it has been drained. Look for the drain valve on the bottom of the filter bowl too - often it has a length of polythene tubing attached to it.
Post back if you're unsure about this one...its the only bit remotely tricky.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again. Am a little bit confuses with the end part ( fuel filter) i have read posts where people have primed after changing the fuel filter and cant start th engine?

Anyway wuill be a few weeks until i do it ( i work offshore) but many thanks again for your advice!

Post a picture of the engine if you can mate - I'll identify the fuel filter and talk you through its replacement...its no big deal.
A successful engine start just involves making sure there's no air left in the filter bowl - all diesels are like this to some degree.
Give a shout when you're ready!

Providing that it seals properly and it has an 'O' ring at the top so you can't really go wrong as long as you don't get any crud in it, you shouldn't have any problem starting it once you have primed it. As John says, one of the very few cars about now that you can service on a DIY basis.

We'll talk him through a timing belt replacement later.....its one thats actually straight forward! Brilliant engine, the XUD.

Timing belt! wow sounds like to much can go wrong ! i am gunna order a haynes book as back up but really appreciate advice as experience is 90% knowledge!

Thanks again.

Just one other thing...as the car is 16yrs old (only done 85k) is is worth flushing with specialized engine cleaners before replacing with new oil?

If the engine has seen regular oil changes, flushing oils aren't needed.
Regarding the timing belt - if yours has the original one, its high time for a change. If it snaps, the engine is wrecked :(

hi it got changed at 74k 3 yrs ago. is that ok? has a really good service history....every 6k for first 50k!!!

It was serviced this time last yr but has only done 3k since?? Would like to use it to teach my boy simple stuff

No worries on that score mate!
Good car, the 306 - generally rust and trouble free, but they do like regular coolant changes. This is because the antifreeze, whilst retaining its anti freezing qualities, loses its corrosion inhibitors after some time. Very important concerning that aluminium cylinder head!

Sponsored Links
Back