Peugeot 306 OVerheating Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Car has been overheating for a few days now, flushed the radiator and replaced the:

- Radiator Fan Switch
- Thermostat
- Radiator Filler Cap

got rid of the air locks and other air bubbles out of the cooling system, car heaters are still blowing coldish air and the car still overheats.

Any ideas would be greatly appriciated.

Sponsored Links
Head gasket ?? Have you been loosing water and/or noticed excessive white smoke/steam coming from the exhaust when warm? Air bubbles coming up in expansion tank or radiator ? oil level rising? If the answer to any of these is "yes" you can expect to find a blown head gasket(minimum).

Munk,if you get no warm air at all,then there is no hot water going to the heater matrix.Did you have the temperature selector to hot when draining/refilling/bleeding the system etc?If yes,is it actually working?You could have a jammed heater valve or the thing is shut and the control cable come off.Possibly if that is found ok,there is a blocked pipe or the matrix itself.There must be some circulation problem which needs sorting,continual overheating will lead to head gasket failure,it may be gone already.

thanks for the replies, replacing the head gasket this week anyway, so i will see if it solves the problem.

Sponsored Links
It pays to have the head skimmed or at least carefully checked for warping with a known straight edge,if not ,you could end up doing it again.

;)

Did you vent the heater matrix, the vent is usually where the heater hoses go through the bulkhead.

heating problems are sorted, turns out there was more crap in the cooling system than there was coolant.

Hi I have peugeot 306 gti 6, and I have overheating problem. Temp goes up tp 100 degrees and stops there,and siting betveen 90-110. Heater inside car blows cold air,even if I put on hot. Help please,as I'm scared I could stuffer up engine.

Sounds as though you have air in the system, bleed it through thoroughly the heater should then work, if it stops again you possibley have a leaking head gasket which is pressurisin the system and blowing the water out. The other possibility is a faulty water pump.

Peter

Hi thatnks for reply. Is there chance that you write step by step how to blees cooling system,or even better if you put couple pics? As I never done that before. Many thanks

I think there are some bleed points at the top of the engine, maybe on the top of the radiator and the top heater hose just before it dissapears through the bulkhead.

Open the bleed screws and keep filling the header tank until water flows from the bleed points. If you can't find any disconnect the top heater hose and keep filling until it comes out of both ends.

Peter

So if I take that top hose off do I need to car running or turn ot off? Thanks

Try it with the engine off, if it doesn't work, start it and let it tickover, be ready to pour more coolant in as it may loose it quite quickly. That should make the heater work, if it doesn't either the water pump is not working or there is a blockage.

Peter

Sponsored Links
Back