peugeot 307 1.6 petrol, faulty thermostat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have a pug 307 that seems to have a faulty water thermostat. Whilst driving the temp maintains about 75 degrees, when stationary it rises quickly, I havn't let it run to see how far it goes, but eventually I know that will happen and end in disaster. I would like to have a go at fitting a new stat myself and I hope someone can a). confirm that this is the cause of the problem and b). the correct procedure, ie: location of the stat etc.

Thanking you all in anticipation, Tidders. :?:

Sponsored Links
It sounds like it could be or could be of faulty coolant temp sender. What year is your motor as i know an the later peugeot's they started using thermostats with electrical connector on them so you will have to buy the complete housing aswel, not cheap i don't suppose either.

Hi Skippster, it's an 03, I think it is actually overheating as it starts to smell hot as the temp rises!

I've only done a diesel one, and the stat came complete with a new housing. Follow the top radiator hose to the cylinder block and thats the stat cover. I seem to remember having to take the battery and its tray away though, but that could have been for something else. These do seem to have a few problems I must say.
John :)

Sponsored Links
don't think it will be one of the new stats fitted to that as its a bit early just see if there's a wire going to it. As said follow top hose until u reach plastic housing, remove the housing (3 x 10mm bolts if i remember right). Then stick it into an old sauce pan( make sure the wife ain't looking LOL) and poor a kettle of boiling water over it and you will see if it opens or not. You may need a grown up helper for this as it HOT HOT HOT.

this may sound silly mate, but you say the temp rises when stationary, most cars will do this BUT will rise even quicker if the fan is not kicking in, is yours ?, my brother has an 05 307HDI, had the fan replaced three times now, apparently its a quite common fault for the motor to burn out.
Just a thought ;)

Have you got air conditioneing or climate control? I had a Pug 406 with climate control and it did something similar. I eventually sussed out that the fan which is supposed to come on when you switch the air con on wasn't working. So when the car got hot it got very hot until the overheat fan kicked in. It did get really hot too, I used to switch the heater on fuill blast just to make sure when driving around the hilly bits of Bristol looking for a parking place.

If you run the engine and switch on the climate control check to see if one of the fans is running. If not then that's probably your problem.

Sponsored Links
Back