peugeot brake failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi... my daughter has just phoned me to ask for my help. she has just nearly had an accident through brake failure on her car. the brake pedal went down to the floor and no pressure. she pumped the brakes and got them to work, after about a minute it happened again this time she heard a crunching sound. she pumped the brakes and they worked ok. now it sounds to me like air in the system, but it's the crunching sound I don't like. I've told her not to drive it and I will try to get some help'
anyone any ideas please
mickcoulson

Sponsored Links
Instant no pressure brake failure points straight to a master cylinder fault, Mick.....however I have a feeling there's more to that here.
If pumping the brakes gets you some sort of pedal, it could indicate that there has been a lining detachment from a rear brake shoe....this isn't uncommon, but rarely happens to the front pads.
How does the handbrake feel? If it comes higher up, then that's a clue.
I presume the car has drums on the back here.
Things need to be looked at before she proceeds!
John :)

Is the handbrake light on? On some makes of car it means the reservoir for the brake fluid is low.
If it is low then you need to find where it has gone.

Just a thought. May not be relevant. Had a funny thing happen once with an early type transit. Left out overnight in freezing weather. Next morning, no brakes, pedal to the floor. I had another van, and was very busy at that time, so didn't get around to looking at it until I sold the van a couple of months later. Started it up and tried the brakes. Absolutely fine!
I guessed at water in the brake fluid, but that would have made the pedal impossible to push down I'd have thought. I never had chance to check properly. (And yes I did tell the chap who bought it!)

Sponsored Links
Tell us a bit more about the car. How old and what sort of mileage? Which model? Total brake failure is extremely unusual on modern (last 30 years or so) cars because they have duel-circuit brakes so you'd need to have both circuits fail at the same time to have no brakes at all. It usually leaves you with increased pedal travel and half your brakes. I'd agree with Burnerman. Most likely cause is master cylinder. If it has brake shoes at the back, then maybe a detached lining. If it's modern enough to have ABS, it might be an ABS pump fault. Again, unlikely though.

Instant no pressure brake failure points straight to a master cylinder fault, Mick.....however I have a feeling there's more to that here.
If pumping the brakes gets you some sort of pedal, it could indicate that there has been a lining detachment from a rear brake shoe....this isn't uncommon, but rarely happens to the front pads.
Hi John.... car gone into garage, new disc pads needed and adjustment on rear brake drums, £ 220 + , thanks for your concern
Mick

Hi John.... car gone into garage, new disc pads needed and adjustment on rear brake drums, £ 220 + , thanks for your concern
Mick
oh and 2 new tyres

Back