Phil the Greek

Speak for yourself...

Not all the indigenous people were Anglo-Saxons (or a variation thereof)

Sponsored Links
Whilst we (indigenous people) think of ourselves as basically of Anglo-Saxon stock, I reckon that we all (or nearly all) have some Norman blood running in our veins. After a thousand years there must have been some interbreeding even if we don't all have Norman-French surnames.

Apparently most of our DNA is 'celtic' with some from Angles, Saxons, Jutes and Friesians. The most 'Germanic' is in the East, which is no surprise, the most Celtic in the West. The invaders did not displace natives, but controlled the areas, and interbred. As for Normans, they influenced us, but I'm not sure how many there were, and how many bred with us. I think Norman DNA is minimal. I'm sure Google will tell you.

For those who keep putting down our Royals:
Phillip - Fought with the RN during WW2
Charlie - Is an ex Commanding Officer of a RN warship during the Cold War
Andrew - Flew helicopters in the RN during the Falklands War
William - Flew Search & Rescue helicopters with the RAF. Now flying Ambulance helos.
Harry - Fought with the Army and flew Attack Helicopters during the Afghanistan War
Edward - Hmmmm....... Duh!

Have you ever put your life on the line for your country?
I'm not sure that any of them 'put their lives on the line'. Although Phil may well have served in battle zones I suspect that all of the others, whilst serving in the armed forces (well, not Edward of course), were kept well away from dangers.

Not that I'm suggesting cowardice, of course, but the people who make these decisions have a duty to protect those who may conceivably one day sit on the throne.

While I have no doubt that the above were probably kept out of harm's way, that is not to say that every other person serving in the armed forces saw "action".
I recall reading that less than a third of the Allied Forces in WW2 saw action, which would make the Royals not hugely different to the majority of the plebs.....

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
For those who keep putting down our Royals:
Phillip - Fought with the RN during WW2
Charlie - Is an ex Commanding Officer of a RN warship during the Cold War
Andrew - Flew helicopters in the RN during the Falklands War
William - Flew Search & Rescue helicopters with the RAF. Now flying Ambulance helos.
Harry - Fought with the Army and flew Attack Helicopters during the Afghanistan War
Edward - Hmmmm....... Duh!

Have you ever put your life on the line for your country?
I'm not sure that any of them 'put their lives on the line'. Although Phil may well have served in battle zones I suspect that all of the others, whilst serving in the armed forces (well, not Edward of course), were kept well away from dangers.

Not that I'm suggesting cowardice, of course, but the people who make these decisions have a duty to protect those who may conceivably one day sit on the throne.

While I have no doubt that the above were probably kept out of harm's way, that is not to say that every other person serving in the armed forces saw "action".
I recall reading that less than a third of the Allied Forces in WW2 saw action, which would make the Royals not hugely different to the majority of the plebs.....

Just for the record:
The ship on which Phillip served saw active service, not least during the landings on Sicily during 1943 when he was credited with a plan which may have saved the ship when it was under air attack.
Andrew was on active service flying helicopters during the Falklands war and came under Argentinian fire
Harry completed two tours in Afghanistan

Even though they obviously did serve in the forces, did they really attain all those medals?

Even though they obviously did serve in the forces, did they really attain all those medals?
I believe some of Phil's are campaign medals. You don't get them if you haven't served in theatre for a specific length of time.

I'd be surprised if Edward hasn't been given some for working in a theatre!

Sponsored Links
Back