Phone cable joining internal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to re-instate the phone cabling in my house after refurbishment. Master socket is fine but one extension is not working. I spilt the cable when renewing the skirting and now have two loose ends. The one coming from the main socket has an orange, white, green and black cable and the extension socket end has 8 coloured wires, orange, green, green/white, orange/white, brown/white, brown, blue and blue/white. I've got a screw type junction box with 6 entry points either side. How do I connect this?

Sponsored Links
the extension would have 2 wires connected to 5 and 2 positions you should get a dial tone. If you dont get a ring I believe the ringer is position 3 but not needed for most systems these days.

you need to track back to which cables were used in the mater feeding the extension.

now have two loose ends. The one coming from the main socket has an orange, white, green and black cable and the extension socket end has 8 coloured wires, orange, green, green/white, orange/white, brown/white, brown, blue and blue/white.
Obviously these two loose ends did not appear when the cable was spilt or cut. What item was there that is no longer there.

It sounds as if there was a socket or other item connecting these loose ends.

The 4 core cable range, white, green and black could be the incoming cable. What do you mean by "main socket" ? Is it a socket or a junction box ?

I spilt the cable when renewing the skirting and now have two loose ends.
Have I missed something here?

You have a cable that you split. Do you mean damaged as in cut in two?

If so then you have two ends, of what was the same single piece of cable, so just join like for like. How do you damage a cable and then have different coloured cores in each half?

Sponsored Links
There was a junction box connecting the cable, so no it was not cut or damaged. (Sorry this was about 6 mths ago and a lot happened since then)

This is a new junction box I'm using with no numbers. There were two jellies as well but can't remember how these went before. Hopefully the photo helps. I've no idea why there were different colours used in each cable?? Any help appreciated.

The picture is crap but the jellies still have the wires / colours hanging out of them so just connect those 2. Looks like orange to blue/white, and white to white/blue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back