Phone Line Extensions and ADSL not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, perhaps someone can give me an idea if I have missed anything.

Went away for the weekend all was working fine......
Come back, and internet is not working, did the normal rebooting router etc, still no effect, removed all devices plugged into the phone line. However Phone still works in the "extension sockets" . just not the ADSL BT line check shows fault within the property.

Removed all extensions (using the faceplate) plugged it in directly to master socket and it all now works correctly.

So it must be the internal wiring, so I removed the face plates along the wiring, and all look ok, I then split the wiring from the first extension socket, (so connecting master to second) this worked (from the master socket location). Joined the first, second, then third, together, and it stopped working, (the adsl). --- all extra devices have been removed from extension sockets

Got out the multi meter, and connected the wires at the end of the extensions - WB - BW / WO - OW / WG - GW (3rd extension its alot easier to get to), all of the connections are connected (ie completed circuit, and have the same resistance along its length give or take.)

Any ideas why? Next step for me is to swap out router, but I have never seen a router do this before.....

BT SOCKET --> Bedroom --> Kitchen --> 2nd Bedroom --> Living Room
---------------------- 1st --------- 2nd ------------ 3rd

Anything else to look for or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

Sponsored Links
I haven't, all the cables are chased into the walls, (sorry should have said that)

I haven't, all the cables are chased into the walls, (sorry should have said that)

thats ok. even if they are in the walls, you can still test your wiring using new wiring.

I bought some from wickes, 15m for £4.97.

test it from socket to socket, like master to first, then first to second and if the problem is there, well eliminate the third etc, by jumping from first socket to third.

I am sure you know what you are doing, so forgive me (in advance).

Sponsored Links
Genius, Idea, - Will let you know

Thanks

Jason

Glad I can help. I am doing some testing in my house, so on a steep learning curve.

I bought a IDC tool, if you haven't got one already, I got mine from amazon, delivered for £5 sold by amazon, free delivery, its by draper and works a treat.

ps...don't forget to click thanks

Well its sorted now, - for peoples future reference

Turns out from what i can gather, the loop attenuation on the line, and removing the ring bell wire, took it low enough for the router to connect.

All the cables where enacted, and ok, the other router did connect with the attenuation at 73.5, but the existing router with the bell wire removed dropped it to 70.5.

I can only presume the work they are doing further up the road has effected the routing of the BT line to give such increased attenuation.

Thanks

Jason

Well its sorted now, - for peoples future reference

Turns out from what i can gather, the loop attenuation on the line, and removing the ring bell wire, took it low enough for the router to connect.

All the cables where enacted, and ok, the other router did connect with the attenuation at 73.5, but the existing router with the bell wire removed dropped it to 70.5.

I can only presume the work they are doing further up the road has effected the routing of the BT line to give such increased attenuation.

Thanks

Jason

Brilliant. I've just sorted out my wiring aswell, speed up by 4MB

Are you aware that due to the logarithmic nature of the dB scale, a decrease in attenuation of 3dB is a very significant difference? It actually represents a doubling of the power level on the line.

A typical reason for a gain of exactly 3dB in signal level is removing a 'double termination' from the line.

That double termination may be the result of using multiple master sockets on an installation instead of a single master socket / NTE, and fitting slave sockets elsewhere, or similar poor installation practise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back