phone line in shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My father in law had just built a new shed at the bottom of his garden and would like a phone in there so he can ring his wife when he wants a cuppa!

Problem is it's nearly 200ft from the house, he doesn't mind running a new telephone cable down the duct with the power cable, but will it work over those sort of distances and what cable do you need. I've done internal telephone extensions before just using 2 pairs. Someone suggested using extra pairs will increase the range ?
Any suggestions

Sponsored Links
You want CW1128, or just ask a wholesaler for duct grade phone cable, or duct grade cat5e. 5pair would be the smallest you can get.

200ft is nothing.

If you want to be able to ring the house from the shed you will need a small cheapy PBX. Get an XN120 from eBay.

cable should not be in the same duct as power supply.

Sponsored Links
Get a DECT cordless phone (or pair-of) with a paging function

Nozzle

Get a DECT cordless phone (or pair-of) with a paging function

Nozzle

That's what I would have said, we have a set of 4, they are brilliant.
I don't get my tea made by telephone though. :LOL: If only. :p

ps: I have Panasonic.

p6068_column_grid_12.jpg

if you can program it to cook the wife can be made redundant

Thanks Lectrician I was looking at that type of cable and 200ft is easy. Great news indeed.

With regard the PBX I will just use 2 cordless phones we already have which have an internal paging function to call each hand set.

The PAYG mobile is a non starter as I've got no mobile coverage worth talking about anyway.

The DECT cordless phones are fine over short distances, the best one currently on the market and sold to me by the man from BT stating 1Km range could only manage just over 65m clear line of sight very disappointed and I couldn't even get a refund, but that's a whole different thread.

Thanks for the advise and I'm off to buy some CW1128 cable, and get my tea made by phone !

Not quite sure how your paging is going to work.......only ONE phone needs to plug into the phone line, the rest are all cordless to the main base.

will pmr range magically improve just by virtue of there now being a telephone extension in the shed?

no

but it could have sufficient range, unlike a cordless phone.

Thanks for the advise and I'm off to buy some CW1128 cable, and get my tea made by phone !

Will the shed be using the extended landline to call the wife in the house on her mobile?

This will probably incur call costs.

A small intercom system would probably be more convenient. The wife can then call the shed to announce readiness of dinner or the arrival of the postman bearing toys from Screwfix etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Eagle-Station-Handset-Intercom-Restaurant/dp/B0068K1EC4

means she's got to go to the intercom to answer rather than pick up the phone. think small pbx would be the best solution, but has the inconvenience of having to press 9 before all calls made in the house

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back