Phone master socket query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a new house. The previous occupants, for whatever reason, decided to remove the master socket.

The phone line runs down the side of the house, enters by the window and goes to a small junction box. Orange and white wires are wired to two screw type connectors marked A and B. Black and green wires are not connected to anything in the junction box. There appear to be two blue and white wires that were once connected to the junction box but have now been cut.

I'm aware that I should probably just phone BT, but is it as simple as connecting the orange and white wires to a new master socket or is it more complicated than this?

Sponsored Links
If you are starting a new account with BT or having your existing account transfered to the new address then almost certainly BT will get OpenReach to install a new NTE5 ( master socket ) without extra charge.

I'm aware that I should probably just phone BT, but is it as simple as connecting the orange and white wires to a new master socket or is it more complicated than this?
Pretty much yes. Of course you would still have to call BT to get the line activated and they still may have to send an engineer out depending on the state of the existing line. Also using the wrong type of master socket can sometimes confuse BT's test equipment.

So I think you are best just ringing BT and saying you need a phone line installing and that there is no existing master socket that can be used. Let them worry about the details.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys.

I phoned BT this morning. It took me 45 minutes to get through to someone. This person then told me that I need to either pay £130 to get someone to come out and install a socket now or wait until my BT broadband and phone is activated on the 21st August, ring up the fault line and get them to come out and sort it for free.

I guess that's my best option - seems kind of backwards though. Why can't they just come out now and do it?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back