Phone Point Connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mates wanting a phone point put in in his new house, cables already connected in at the master box, the white/blue & blue/white only two connected in the others are just coiled. The other ends just hangin where last point was. What gets connected where at phone point, the terminals are 123 down one side 456 down the other. Am sure it's a piece of **** just never connected one before. :D

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If you want the othr phones to ring, connect the orange/white to No 3 as well.

The #3 ring wire is only for really old phones I thought? I'd advise against connecting it, as it can have a detrimental effect to adsl sync rate (should you have adsl...)

Not as far as I'm aware...it's for all phones. I have phone sockets I installed all over the house and they're all connected up to terminal 3.

I don't have an ADSL issue.

Leave it disconnected if you must, but AFAICT you need it to ring the other phones. Unless you replace all secondary outlets with masters.

Only modern phones that also derive power from a 13amp socket do NOT use it. Although some that do derive power from a 13amp socket still do.

As for ADSL issues - if you have the latest NTE5a master socket or an I plate fitted to the NTE5a, it wont be an issue.

If the ADSL was a problem, disconnecting the ringer from the NTE is all thats needed - easy to reconnect again.

edited typo :)

Having the ringer wire connected in unfiltered wiring won't do your ADSL any favours and filters don't connect to the ringer wire on the unfiltered side anyway. Of course the best approach is to put a hard wirable filters at the master socket and avoid having loads of unfiltered wiring in the first place.

If you are on a rate adaptive package (most people are these days) your internal wiring can make a significant difference to speeds. If you are in a vey marginal area it can be the difference between working reliablly and not doing so.

Only modern phones that also derive power from a 13amp socket do into use it. Although some that do derive power from a 13amp socket still do.

I assume you mean "don't use it" rather than "do into use it" - a confusing typo at first! :)

But I'd still disagree - last year I installed a load of bog-standard "standalone" phones at an industrial plant, all had only two wires connected, and I often shoved four lines down a cat5 - all rang loud and proud! :cool:

But I'd still disagree - last year I installed a load of bog-standard "standalone" phones at an industrial plant, all had only two wires connected, and I often shoved four lines down a cat5 - all rang loud and proud! :cool:
But that sounds like a PABX system. Isnt that different? Dont some of them use digital signals?

Thats a PBX I would hazard a guess - they do only use a pair for SLT phones, and use a master phone socket (so effectively having a term 3 connected).

I do LOADS of phone wiring and PBX installs....

But that sounds like a PABX system. Isnt that different? Dont some of them use digital signals?

Most 'modern' PBX is actually VoIP, over ethernet, which is indeed digital. Some analogue PBXs will work just fine with a normal household analogue phone - the signalling is via standard DTMF.

I'd hazard a guess that 99% of modern phones will ring just fine without the third bell wire. The ringing voltage is simply a (relatively) high level AC signal superimposed over the two main line conductors, which is cut at the exchange end when a receiver is lifted. You'll notice where the line enters your house into the master socket, the incoming drop cable also only uses two cores.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back