Photocell with override setup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

We are going to soon be fitting outside lights to the front and side of the house.

It would seem sensible to connect them via a photocell so we don't come home in the dark, in line with a time-switch so they go off at 11pm.

I would also like to be able to override in case of the photocell / timer failing, or some other reason.

I am struggling to find and on/off/on switchplate (Found a few grid modules but its expensive).

Can anyone suggest one?

Also, would a photocell need a neutral connection? I am thinking it would, but have never had cause to fit a separate one before.

Thanks!
Tim

Sponsored Links
Ever considered PIR sensors

Yes, but didn't like the idea. A cat walking past and the place lights up (There will be 4 lights at the front). When I am out on the lash I would like to see the house from a distance!

All new lights are LED, so a total power usage of 32w...

There are circuit drawings on the switchery for this application in this recent thread
//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/internal-light-switch-with-3-settings.450600/#post-3551996

One uses a regular 2-gang switch, and one with a 3-position grid switch.

Both will give you the OFF/PHOTOCELL/OVERRIDE functions that you are looking for.

And yes, most photocells need a neutral.

PS Rather than use a photocell plus a timer, you could install one of these photocells that can be set to turn off after a period of time rather than run from dusk to dawn.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/STNM3000B.html

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
There are circuit drawings on the switchery for this application in this recent thread
//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/internal-light-switch-with-3-settings.450600/#post-3551996

One uses a regular 2-gang switch, and one with a 3-position grid switch.

Both will give you the OFF/PHOTOCELL/OVERRIDE functions that you are looking for.

And yes, most photocells need a neutral.

PS Rather than use a photocell plus a timer, you could install one of these photocells that can be set to turn off after a period of time rather than run from dusk to dawn.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/STNM3000B.html

Excellent thanks. The other thing putting me off the grid option was I would prefer DP isolation, in case of water getting into an outdoor fitting, as they will likely share an internal lighting circuit RCBO. I couldn't find a DP version.

Actually I wonder if I can even get a 2-gang DP switch without going grid?!

I did look at a photocell with a power-off after x hours option, but I think I would want the lights out at 11pm, regardless of the time it got dark.....

Why not just use a DP FCU (before the control switchgear) to give you appropriate isolation and some discrimination?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back