Photocell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello again

I connected up photocell today as shown in the diagram below. Its only controlling 1 light. When I switch the live in on the lights comes on and stays on - i.e. the photcell doesn't switch the light off.

Am i missing something? I have tesed the line in and line out wires, and they are working ok, but the photocell doesnt do anything.

I've tried it with a neutral and without and it doesn't make any difference. The only thing I can think of is the photocell is broken - but its brand new out of the box.

Sponsored Links
What type of photocell are you using?
There are photocell's that give an output when light is shining on the cell. I'm assuming you want this light to come on when it is dark.

Well it looks like you are using the right thing.
For some reason i thought you where making it from components, and had got the wrong type of photocell(it's been a long day)
What you've done should work, could be a duff photocell, try swaping the live feed with the out first.

Sponsored Links
i've tried covering it over too to black it out to see if that made it turn off, and thus suggesting the LI and LO were the wrong way round, but made no difference.

Does it need a neutral? Initially i treated it like a normal switch, i.e. just had live and switched live to photocell and it was the same.

Did it not come with a wiring diagram?
I don't know why your asking if it needs a neutral,,,, as far as I know all electrics (apart from digital thermostats for combi boilers ) need a neutral, otherwise nothing will work at all.

What type of lamp are you switching with the photocell?

Some (many?) 'low energy' lamps don't meet the minimum load requirement for the switching to operate as expected, and may remain iluminated even when 'off'

If you are trying to switch a low energy lamp, substituting it with a conventional incandescent filament lamp may work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back