PHOTOS: Best location for master socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some of you helped out on my broadband thread. This is a carry on from that.

So we've got a master socket fitting booked in for the coming week. Annoyingly there were no slots available in my week off work and they don't do weekends so i've got to get my mum to sit in while the work is done.

We want the socket in the hall but not sure on suitable location.

At the moment the BT Hub will be going on the window ledge but at some point we may get a small table for the hall.

We took photos of possible locations...

Just above the existing extension socket. The existing socket could even be removed & this put in its place i guess. We have extension sockets upstairs & it'd be great if they could connect the existing wiring to the new master socket.

Those are on a solid wall.

This next one is i don't know what. Plasterboard perhaps but it's not solid:

From reading various posts i guess we should also get my mum to make sure the engineer puts in a drip loop when feeding in the wire. Since i read about this i've been looking at other peoples houses & i noticed it doesn't seem to happen all that often. Slack workmanship perhaps.

Would any of those be unsuitable? Would they be able to work so close to the radiator without issue?

Sponsored Links
I'm so glad I don't have to do any work for you.

You are making problems out of nothing, change the 'slot' so you can be there, I bet even then you won't be happy.

Thanks for your helpful response.

I'm making no 'problem' I'm simply asking a question.

Since I'm all out of annual leave & they don't do slots at the weekend there isn't one where I can be there.

Number 2. Mark the location yourself on the wall with a marker.

Also, as your planning to get your mum to "make sure" he puts in a drip loop etc, be prepared to connect your existing extensions by yourself later.

Maybe she could also check he uses a sleeve on the dropwire (this peels back the tensioners so they dont cut into the copper conductors as they expand and contract)

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

For the record I'm sure my mum is quite capable of letting him in the house & passing in the message of where it's required to be located. So I don't need to take time off work when I have no time left to take. I was simply trying to cover all possible bases so she didn't run in to any potential issues since I know there's members on here who have either done this or do this. I'm far from a 'difficult customer'.

Blooming heck.... with this thread and six pages on the other thread how much can you discuss a socket!!!!!!!!!!! it is only a phone socket for gods sake... it is a good job you wont be there when the engineer calls otherwise he will be quizzed to death... do you lie awake at night worried about this socket and its location??

Is it hurting you?

Maybe we could condense them a few pages if non helpful responses like the above were removed.

When discussing with someone do you stop them mid flow. To say sorry, you've used up he maximum word allowance that I allocated for you, please no longer talk?

Finally what is so difficult about if you (this applies to everyone so I'm not singling you out) don't like it then move on, don't reply? I don't understand what's difficult about that.

Hi,

Where is your mains outlet and/or how will you be getting power to the BT Hub?

If the BT installer is happy to replace your existing extension socket, then as you said you could use the wiring to run off to other extensions if necessary (you can do this yourself if BT don't/won't - they just connect to the rear of the faceplate).

Bit of a squeeze with the rad there but wouldn't be that difficult. Tea and nice biscuits might help him decide how long he wants to spend on the job!

Otherwise, photo 2 location is ok but that high up you aren't going to be able to hide the cables easily, especially behind a table.

Also, as your planning to get your mum to "make sure" he puts in a drip loop etc, be prepared to connect your existing extensions by yourself later.

Maybe she could also check he uses a sleeve on the dropwire (this peels back the tensioners so they dont cut into the copper conductors as they expand and contract)

Wrong the purpose of the sleeve is to prevent the tensioners from slipping back up the dropwire. ;)

I bet he comes in and drills a nice hole though your window :LOL:
if he does complain and you will get a new window as drilling a upvc window voids the guarantee and is a big no no,openreach engineers are told NOT to drill through windows

Wrong the purpose of the sleeve is to prevent the tensioners from slipping back up the dropwire. ;)

who told you that? have never seen the steel catenary wires "slip back up the dropwire" as it's not even possible. cut 3m of dropwire strip at each end and try it.

we were always told the reason for the sleeve was so we didn't jag our fingers on the tensioners, among other silly explanations, but a boffin from adastral park said the real reason sleeves are specified is for the expansion / contraction of steel and copper at different rates.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back