"Piggy back" an existing rad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. I'm looking to fit a rad in my living room. There is one in the hall directly behind where I want the new one. Is it a simple matter of teeing from the old to the new and if so does it matter which pipe is which.

Cheers guys

Sponsored Links
Hi guys. I'm looking to fit a rad in my living room. There is one in the hall directly behind where I want the new one. Is it a simple matter of teeing from the old to the new and if so does it matter which pipe is which.

Cheers guys

That's fine. Just make sure to tee off the flow and return and connect new rad to both. If using a TRV on the new rad put it on the side which will get best reading of temp in the room and it should be bi-flow/directional so that it can be on either inlet or outlet of rad.

What size pipe is at the hallway rad? If its 10 mm then i certainly would NOT tee into it

Sponsored Links
The pipe in the hall is either 10 or 8 not measured it yet. Is there a reason not to tee from it or is it just personal preference ?

Smaller pipes can't carry as much water/heat, though if it's 10mm you should be alright to feed two rads off it providing they aren't massive.

10mm has a small heat-carrying capacity so you might end up with two cold rads. Best to go back to where the main runs are, which might be a manifold, in which case you'll need to find the manifold and connect to that

If they are 10mm or smaller I would be shocked if it works properly.

Depends on many variables... Size of system; size of rads; distances; cleanliness of system water; proximity/bore of primary circuit/manifold; boiler efficiency; pump; valve quality; bends 'n' elbows etc etc...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back