Pilkington glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do i check the glass i ordered for my new windows are what they should be. I was told it would be Pilkington but since i have a few problems i'm begining to now doubt everything about my mew units. I.. i was informed by sales they would be A rated energy efficient but they have a 'C' rated sticker on them. Any help advice appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is the sticker on the glass or on the window frames??
Have you got a written quote stating what you've asked for??

Sponsored Links
What is the actual wording on the quote regarding A rating??

You may have a C Rated frame with A Rated glass, its easy for a company to to say 'we only supply A Rated' the customers then think they're getting an A Rated product when its on,y the glass that is a rated.
You need to go back to the company and ask what the 'Overall u value' is and not the 'Centre Pane' .
I reckon your centre pane u value is A Rated

Ratings can be confusing

What is the actual wording on the quote regarding A rating??

You may have a C Rated frame with A Rated glass, its easy for a company to to say 'we only supply A Rated' the customers then think they're getting an A Rated product when its on,y the glass that is a rated.
You need to go back to the company and ask what the 'Overall u value' is and not the 'Centre Pane' .
I reckon your centre pane u value is A Rated

Ratings can be confusing
I reckon your posts can be confusing sometimes! :p

I'll translate later, bit rushed this morning

C rated grammar!!! :eek:

What i was trying to explain was they might of fobbed you off saying they use A Rated glass. A lot of people would then think they're getting an A Rated product when in fact they're not. A rated glass with a C Rated frame doesn't get you an overall A Rating. If you request that you want A rated, basically an A Rated frame is called up with the required glass to get it up to the required rating.

What colour is the spacer bar on your glass (that's the section between the 2 panes)???
If you have in writing that you've requested A Rated frames, they will need to be changed.

More info below

You have 3 energy ratings on a new window/door.

1. Centre pane..... This is the energy rating on the glass only
2. Frame..... This is the energy rating on the frame
3. Overall..... This is the energy rating on the frame and glass.

Companies have to comply with the BFRC energy rating (British Fenestration Rating Council)

‘C’ rated windows would generally require a sealed unit with low e glass, Argon and possibly warm edge spacer bar. This is the proposed minimum level from October 2010

‘B’ rated windows would generally require a sealed unit with soft coat low e glass, Argon and warm edge spacer bar.

‘A’ rated windows would generally require a sealed unit with soft coat low e, low iron glass, Argon and warm edge spacer bar.

I could confuse you further by going down the u value route as well but that you're better off googling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back