Pillow Talk

S

Shutpa

In hospital after a heart attack some years ago, the nurse woke me up and asked if I wanted something to help me sleep. Well, I could have said something about one of the lovely young nurses coming over to keep me company, but I didn't. I simply replied that I didn't do sleeping pills and that, all that I wanted, hint, hint, was an uninterrupted sleep. She went off in a huff and I went back to sleep. For about 20 minutes that is when she woke me up again and said that I would have to use a pillow to allow me to breath properly. I told her that I hadn't used pillows for years and that I had no intention of starting again. Off she went again only to return with the duty doctor who tried to tell me that it was important to use a pillow because I had had a heart attack. "And where did you read that?", I asked him. He turned to the nurse and told her just to leave me and she did.

A few years on and I'm back in hospital again and she the nurse was still there. "I remember you", she says, "You're the man who kept asking for an extra pillow and something to help you sleep". "And I remember you too!", I said, "You're the nurse with the very, very bad memory".
After I explained, we got on like a house on fire, and did absolutely everything (within reason), for me.

Sponsored Links
They do have a nasty habit of waking you up all the time.
"Gotta do your obs, dear!"

Once I was so peed off I told the nurse that I knew I could refuse if I wished, and wanted to do so, just to get some decent kip.

She only came back and woke me up again! I asked her why she woke me and she said she had to ask me if I wanted my obs doing?????

When I was 21, I suffered viral encephalitis where I collapsed and woke up in hospital, feeling like I had an axe in my skull.

Didn't stop the s*dding cleaner coming round at 0630 the next morning and banging the floor polisher round the bed...

Grrrrrrrrrr........

I'm not saying I'm a frequent user of the NHS (both in and outpatient) but many medical staff know me by sight in the 4 main hospitals I visit in Stockport and Manchester (SHH, SRH, MRI and TGH).

Last edited:
When I was 17 I ripped my thumbnail off in a guillotine. Ripped right off the nail bed and lots of the red stuff everywhere. (Thought I'd cut my thumb off at the time lol).
Taken to the local 'Cottage' hospital and treated by a lovely nurse who said I would need the dressing changed in a weeks time at my local hospital. So, seven days later I present myself to my local hospital where a nurse proceeded to unwind the outer dressing. She then gripped the corner of the gauze dressing and swiftly ripped it off in one fell swoop. Massive pain and another shower of the red stuff. This happened each week for the next three weeks or so and I dreaded going each time. Then one day there was a lovely little Irish nurse in the clinic. Got chatting about what I had done and I explained how I dreaded coming because of the way the other nurse changed the dressing. She promptly placed a bowl of warm water in front and told me to just soak my thumb in it for 5 minutes. Before the 5 minutes were up the gauze just floated away of its own accord. Within 2 weeks the nail bed had begun to harden and no more red stuff flying around. Kathleen, (the nurse), couldn't believe the way the other nurse had been treating me.

Patient- "Nurse, can I have a goodnight kiss?"

Nurse- "You certainly cannot!"

Patient- "Come on nurse, just a little kiss to help me sleep".

Nurse- "I said no and I mean no! I shouldn't even be in bed with you!".

Sponsored Links
I know it's a spam advert but trust me, sheeps wool in cotton pillows. No more sweating, and as much or little support as you want simply by adding or taking away the wool.

I know it's a spam advert but trust me, sheeps wool in cotton pillows. No more sweating, and as much or little support as you want simply by adding or taking away the wool.

This should be encouraged, being a natural material and unbeliavably farmers have to virtually throw it away as there's no market for it. When I asked a farmer why this is, he asked me who I know who wears woollen clothes these days.

1662633845942.png

They do have a nasty habit of waking you up all the time.
"Gotta do your obs, dear!"

I remember that distinctly - not nice being woken up every few hours, in the middle of the night, finding yourself in a strange bed and in a strange situation.

Likewise, I tend not to sleep on pillows. I have them for watching a bit of TV in bed, but when I settle, the pillow normally gets pushed out of the way, or I use a very shallow pillow. I often begin face down. In hospital for a minor op on my back, they asked me if I would be OK laid face down for the hour or so the op would take. Apparently, some people cannot cope with lying face down for long periods.

Sponsored Links
Back