Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We are having a problem with our boiler that I am hoping you can help with

Our Setup:
Baxi solo 2 RS
Gravity fed, fully pumped system

Recent work on the boiler:
It was fully serviced in December. The plumber could not get it to re-light though and so a new thermocouple and gas valve was installed. Since then we have not had any problems.
6 weeks ago - Nest thermostat installed to replace old drayton thermostat/controller

The problem:
On Sunday the pilot light went off. I restarted the boiler and turned the hot water on, the pilot went off again. After a bit of trial and error I found that the longer I left the boiler with just the pilot light lit but with no usage, the longer it would eventually heat the system. This gradually got worse though and a plumber was called. We are now in a position where no matter how long we leave it as soon as the heating or hot water are turned on the boiler goes clunk and the pilot light goes out.

The plumber arrived today but said other than the gas valve he could not think of another cause of the problem, he commented that the pumps were fully working but were near end of life. As a result he recommended a new combi boiler in the airing cupboard at an approx cost of £2k.

We have a baby on the way and simply dont have that money at the moment. Is there anything else that the problem could be? I have another plumber coming out to take a look, we are now a bit more desperate though as we have no heating (not so much of a problem at the moment) and no hot water.

Many Thanks,
Chris

Sponsored Links
A simple boiler.
Get a different Plumber. It could be several things.
I have never changed a gas valve on one for this problem.

That's a relief that there are other options. Hopefully another plumber will be more help. If anyone can recommend one in Cardiff I am open to suggestions.

Boiler was working ok before the service. In the past it has been a bit iffy when there is a sudden drop in temperature. It is usually ok after a restart though.

As a slight update I read a thread on here that recommended keeping the boiler on low. I have done that and thankfully it has lit again which buys us some time to get a couple of plumbers out and work out the best solution.

Sponsored Links
Babies are cheap for the first 6 months.... apart from nappies. They also do not need a working boiler. Only hysterical parents of new borns need boilers. ;).

Last edited:
Sounds like a basic fault but difficult to pinpoint. Few basic electrical tests and maybe a bit of cleaning should find the problem.
Jeff

Why is it that a so called plumber always wants to fit a combi

Did the plumber open the boiler? Did he clean the heat exchanger, burner, pilot assembley, check the flue and gas as well as the burner pressure?

Simple boiler, should be able to sort it without much problem. Certainly a lot more rugged than a combi, not forgetting you will get hot water without working boiler (a trick a combi will not perform) unless there is no immersion heater fitted.

Why is it that a so called plumber always wants to fit a combi

Did the plumber open the boiler? Did he clean the heat exchanger, burner, pilot assembley, check the flue and gas as well as the burner pressure?

Simple boiler, should be able to sort it without much problem. Certainly a lot more rugged than a combi, not forgetting you will get hot water without working boiler (a trick a combi will not perform) unless there is no immersion heater fitted.
I agree, 4 pipes rather than seven and all the crap involved in moving them.

"Just" a plumber Agas?......a good plumber will pizz all over a "heating engineer"..;)
I trained as a plumber with lead dressing/ welding etc. I think the two complement one another. I don't think there is separation. Fault finding is an art applicable to both.

ye see both of your points and agree ,but not all plumbers are conversant with boilers thats all what I'm getting at

its muck in your pilot basic fault get it re-serviced pilot lifting off the thermocouple when main burner comes on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back