Pilot Light on Back Boiler

Sometimes they have a fold down flat where yours has a slotted slide out bit. On the flap are the lighting instructions.

But the boiler era it came from none of the manufacturer's labelled the controlls, but they did show diagrams of them in the instructions. That was a time when householders had enough common sense.

Sponsored Links
This boiler will have had several owners. The instructions are probably at the bottom of a cardboard box at the back of a loft in Stevenage by now. That's the problem with relying on an instruction manual. I did eventually track down a copy on the net, but by then we had already established it wasn't going to light.

My own last boiler (which was about thirty years old) did have meaningful markings on one of the controls (the other control being a bright red ignition button), so it didn't take me long to figure out how to light it.

It's owner does indeed plan to get it repaired. My reference to launching it out of the window was a comment on the frustration of igniting an old-skool boiler - you would think the manufacturer would have at at least labelled the controls.

look at the decorative panel you took off to access the pilot controls, it should have a drawing of all parts and how to light on the back :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back