Pilot light out and not re-igniting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pilot light on my Biasi 24S has gone out. The re-ignition light has come on, but when I press it it doesn't do the job.

I can see the spark flickering trying to light the gas, but nothing is catching alight. I have gas coming through the cooker hob, so don't think there is a problem with the mains supply.

The water pressure has dropped right off - is this connected to the pilot light going out? I have re-pressurized up to about 2.5 bar but still no joy.

The boiler is only 4 years old and has never played up before. Any thoughts on what this might be - is it boiler engineer time?

Sponsored Links
skinnyjohn said:
The pilot light on my Biasi 24S has gone out

you don't have a pilot light on that boiler.

skinnyjohn said:
I can see the spark flickering trying to light the gas, but nothing is catching alight.

that would indicate a faulty gas valve as the ignition control box energises the gas valve at the same time as spark generator. best to have a heating engineer check the valve to be certain or if you have a multimeter and some electrical knowledge i'll explain to you how to test. you'd still need a heating engineer to change the valve as it would involve the setting of gas pressures

skinnyjohn said:
The water pressure has dropped right off - is this connected to the pilot light going out?

that boiler doesn't have a pressure switch it has a flow switch so the pressure could actually read zero and the boiler would still fire if there was enough water in the system to operate the flow switch.

skinnyjohn said:
I have re-pressurized up to about 2.5 bar but still no joy.

too high! bleed a radiator into a dish or bucket until the pressure reads 1bar. if you fire the boiler up with the pressure that high you're gonna cause yourself a new problem.

weargas said:
skinnyjohn said:
The pilot light on my Biasi 24S has gone out

you don't have a pilot light on that boiler.

I used to be able to see a small flame through the window in the front of the boiler, which I thought was the pilot light. My mistake, thanks.

skinnyjohn said:
I can see the spark flickering trying to light the gas, but nothing is catching alight.

that would indicate a faulty gas valve as the ignition control box energises the gas valve at the same time as spark generator. best to have a heating engineer check the valve to be certain or if you have a multimeter and some electrical knowledge i'll explain to you how to test. you'd still need a heating engineer to change the valve as it would involve the setting of gas pressures

skinnyjohn said:
The water pressure has dropped right off - is this connected to the pilot light going out?

that boiler doesn't have a pressure switch it has a flow switch so the pressure could actually read zero and the boiler would still fire if there was enough water in the system to operate the flow switch.

skinnyjohn said:
I have re-pressurized up to about 2.5 bar but still no joy.

too high! bleed a radiator into a dish or bucket until the pressure reads 1bar. if you fire the boiler up with the pressure that high you're gonna cause yourself a new problem.

The pressure has since dropped back down to 1bar, so it seems to have righted itself. Sounds like I had better call an engineer. Many thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back