Pin hole in stainless steel sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I noticed that I had a leak from the kitchen sink and upon investigation I discovered it was not the usual suspects but a pin hole in the sink itself. Is there any way that this can be repaired? Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Any repair using something like Araldite would be a bodge, I'm afraid.....unfortunately you need a new sink - and its not too uncommon!
The better makes such as Franke won't suffer from this defect.
John :)

Agreed. The differing quality of stainless steel was not something I had thought much about until the s/s water tank on our narrowboat sprang a leak. Took some time to trace and prove it was poor grade s/s used to fabricate the tank.

In your case a new good quality sink will be the only reliable solution.

Sponsored Links
Do you use a lot of bleach? Not good for stainless steel.

Most stainless steel blends can be soldered using killed spirits as a flux.

A big copper soldering iron Iron gives best results (less instant heat loss) and better than flame because of less oxidation.

As always, surface must be fully prep'd clean, you'll find the solder will run quite easily once you get the hang of it.

THERE are some water resistance adhesive tapes, and if it is only a very tiny pin hole, then i cannot see why a patch with a self adehsive pad won't stick to the underside and since it is water reppelant and resitance adhesive, (like the ones they use for patching roofs, it is bitumen based, but there are others available too.

failing that, drill a 3mm di hole and bang a rivett through it like a plug

failing that go for a new sink, a much too difficult option an costly and more time consuming obviously.

Thanks for all the advice, I think I will try a patch and if it does'nt work then it's a new sink.

I must say that I have always had excellent results using epoxy to repair a leak in metal.

BUT I do use standard epoxy ( not rapid ), properly clean and dry and use a 2p coin or similar to give mechanical strength.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back