Pine Knotty Interior Door - How to finish it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have been researching for the past few days on this as I am newbie to this sort of area and came across this forum and decided to go for it here.

Recently, we have installed 3 New Pine knotty doors. Half of the door has 2 glazed windows panels. This was brought from BQ. Now, our handyman has installed the doors and I have already used paper and masking tape to protect the window panels.

But the question is, I don't know how to finish the door. I am doing this myself as I want to save my mum some money as the whole purchasing, hiring has been expensive for her.

I read that applying the wrong finish can make the pine doors go 'yellow' which I don't want. I want to be able to bring out the natural wood and also to give the wood a shine to it.

Also to let you know, the wood does not feel smooth in some places so I will sand that down as well.

Can someone tell me what can of finishing product I would need to buy, Danish oil, ect, and what the process would be. Also what kind of sand paper I would need to buy? And links here will be appreciated as well.

Also I don't want anything too complicated, as I am not a professional, something were I can wipe it on with a cloth, leave it to dry and then give a sand and repeat.

Thank you in advance for any help given.

PS. Should I have a respirator for this job, I can get a cheap one from eBay. Also to wipe on the finish on the door, what works better, a cloth or those foam brushes.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
'Yellowing' could refer to what happens when you paint over pine without a decent primer, so the wood oils eventually discolour the paint, mainly around knots. Natural pine also goes more yellow and dark with age -nothing you can do about that.
If you don't want to varnish it (and it sounds like you're against the idea?) then you should wax it. I prefer Briwax as it leaves a decent satin shine -you can buy it in many colours if you want to stain the wood (I use Antique Pine). Application requires a lint-free cloth and elbow grease, and will need to be reapplied occasionally where it gets worn away by fingers. Alternatively there are liquid waxes like Liberon which I suppose are easier to apply. No respirator required.
Any sandpaper will do, even the stuff you get from the pound shop; you'll want to use the fine stuff to get the final smoothness (anything over 300 grade).

I have never used this on pine but on light oak I use Lord Sheraton Caretaker Wood Balsam, available in most supermarkets. On light oak it gives a very pale honey finish. It is easy to apply using a cloth. I would suggest that whatever you use try it on the closing edge of the door first where it is not normally seen.

Sponsored Links
'Yellowing' could refer to what happens when you paint over pine without a decent primer, so the wood oils eventually discolour the paint, mainly around knots. Natural pine also goes more yellow and dark with age -nothing you can do about that.
If you don't want to varnish it (and it sounds like you're against the idea?) then you should wax it. I prefer Briwax as it leaves a decent satin shine -you can buy it in many colours if you want to stain the wood (I use Antique Pine). Application requires a lint-free cloth and elbow grease, and will need to be reapplied occasionally where it gets worn away by fingers. Alternatively there are liquid waxes like Liberon which I suppose are easier to apply. No respirator required.
Any sandpaper will do, even the stuff you get from the pound shop; you'll want to use the fine stuff to get the final smoothness (anything over 300 grade).

Hi, thanks for the reply.

I don't mind vanishing but I am still not sure what to do. My mum has just told me that all the doors in the house will be replaced so that essentially, 8 Pine knotty doors.

If I decided to varnish, can you recommend a brand?

Also I have looked into Briwax, the price seems ok, but I don't want to just order from online. I want to see it tested out. Decided to go with my mum to my local Homebase who should have samples of this.

My mum said, she wants the colour to darken a bit, to give it a orange hue instead of yellow. Which pine wax colour would this be, antique, rustic, ect???

-------

Between Vanish or wax, which would you recommend is easier to apply and the process.

Vanish, would I need a respirator, does it take longer, ect.. vs the wax, where you wipe it on.

-----

Also, with the Briwax, what is the application method, ie. give the door a sand, using a lint free cloth, apply a coat of the wax, working it in the door, leave it to dry and do you repeat this process, any sanding.

Also I sound like a total noob here... elbow grease as the product, or just using your hands and arm to work the wax in the door.

Many thanks for the help.

If I decided to varnish, can you recommend a brand?
Not really, I don't use it much. Make sure it's oil-based though. I use Wilko yatch varnish (but not very often).

My mum said, she wants the colour to darken a bit, to give it a orange hue instead of yellow. Which pine wax colour would this be, antique, rustic, ect???
Have a look at the sample board.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Briwax-Or...hash=item33a0f24279:m:mdqAP2q54nMGrwXCLPUAYxA

Between Vanish or wax, which would you recommend is easier to apply and the process.
Wax is definitely easier to apply (even easier when the door is horizontal). No need to worry about dust and brush hairs runing the finish, no chemical cleaning of brushes, no drips, etc.

Vanish, would I need a respirator, does it take longer, ect.. vs the wax, where you wipe it on.
Respirator not really necessary in a ventilted room, but oil-based varnish can take a few days to dry properly. Might give you a headache for a bit.

Also, with the Briwax, what is the application method, ie. give the door a sand, using a lint free cloth, apply a coat of the wax, working it in the door, leave it to dry and do you repeat this process, any sanding.
Once it is sanded smooth, roughly apply a liberal amount of wax using a cloth. By the time you've covered the whole side of the door it will have dried just enough to be ready for buffing -get another cloth and rub vigorously (i.e. elbow grease!) until the shine appears. That's it. You can always apply more wax and repeat at any time (no more sanding).

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back