1. We are pleased to announce the 'Home Automation' forum. Click here to get involved!

Pipe spacing for water meters?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by henry13, 24 May 2013.

1. henry13

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The background -

One building, 3 flats, previously just one common water supply (riser) feeding all flats.

Have now separated all flats' supplies, to ground floor near-ceiling level.

Hope to have meters installed inside building, extending separation of supplies to ground-floor floor level, so that meters can be installed there.

Q - what distance apart should the pipework (3 adjacent vertical pipes) be so that there will be no problems with clearance when the 3 meters are fitted? They don't actually have to be fitted at the same level so staggering is fine, but if not too much in it perfect alignment would also be nice :cool:

I have an idea of course but don't know whether there are any new-fangled meters being installed nowadays that may require a lot of space.

Actually wrote to Thames Water almost a month ago, but nothing other than an acknowledgement as yet. So much for their claimed desire to have everyone on a meter.

Oh and pipework is in 22mm.

Many thanks for any input!

2. Agile

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That all sounds good!

They prefer meters installed externally whey they can read meters easily. Although they so have some wireless ones now.

As far as I know they will allow internal meters.

Most meters I see are less than 100 mm wide so I expect thatvpipe spacing would suit.

You also need isolating valves and a drain cock!

Tony

3. henry13

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks Tony, yes do have isolating valves and drain cocks already, but best ask as I will be relocating the former - are there any specs as to whether the isolators need to be "before" the meters i.e. on the unmetered side, or after?

I would prefer them to be before in case anything happens to the meter and I suppose it would also make future meter replacement much easier.

Thanks again