PIR Security Floodlights not working!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Moved into new house and have found that 3 of the PIR Security lights are not working, which I believe are all on the same circuit.

2 are pointing to the rear of the house and 1 to the front. There is a 3 way switch on the wall in our sitting room which I think can be used to turn them on permanantly.

Firstly, I tried replacing all the bulbs but that didn't help, so I decided to buy 1 complete new unit, which also does not work!

Before doing all of this, I thought maybe a fuse had gone, however, checked on the fuse box, which is very clearly labelled, and can only assume that they are on the same circuit as the main sitting room lights which are working fine?! (and so is everything else electrical in the house).

By the way, I should mention that I did get a bit confused with the wiring when putting up the new light, as there were four wires (red, yellow, blue & green/yellow) coming from the circuit, but only mention of 3 to wire up to the new PIR in the manual. After speaking with a mate he explained that the extra yellow was probably for a 2-way switch, and that it was up to me as to whether I wanted to use this as the main live feed or the red wire which is permanantly live. So I've tried both of them individually as the main feed and it still won't work.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

TomR

Sponsored Links
Might be a silly question, but is the power to them turned on ? If you flick the switches that you think controls them, do they come on then ? If so, leave it in that position and they will turn themselves off after a while and then be operating normally. To turn them on permanently, you need to flick that same switch off then on again quickly.

Hi and thanks for your reply.

Flicking the switches makes no difference, not even if i flick them a couple of times as suggested in the manual!

It's as if there is no power in this individual circuit, but I just don't understand why, especially when I believe the main sitting room lights are on the same fuse, and work fine?

Any other thoughts, anyone??

Sponsored Links
If you have no means of determining whether they are energised or not then you do not have the tools to do the job. Without more information, or being able to inspect your installation it is going to be pretty difficult for anybody on the forum to advise you.

You may be better advised to call in an electrician, but if you must do it yourself you will need to get hold of a multimeter and learn how to use it to check that there is actually a voltage present at the light positions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back