Pitched roof or flat roof / balcony costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I hope someone can help me. I am still in the design stage of what will be quite a large extension.

Part of the extension is single story on the front and it will come out by approx 2.5m from the current house. If I put a pitched roof onto this I think it may look a bit silly as in order to meet the house at below upstairs window height the roof will have a very low pitch.

I could have a flat roof but I feel that will just look ugly. I am thinking about putting on a flat roof and having it reinforced (or whatever need to be done to it) so I can use it as a balcony. I could put some glass or wooden balustrade on it and I think aesthetically it will look a lot nicer.

So putting the potential planning issues aside is it a lot more expensive to put a roof on which could be used to walk on compared to a standard flat roof?

The front extension size is approx 2.5m by 8m. If anyone could give me a rough idea of a cost for a pitched roof, a flat roof and a flat roof which can be used as a balcony that would be really really appreciated.

Thanks
Greg

Sponsored Links
£5000 will get you a roof you can use as a balcony, without the balustrade.

Hi Catlad

Thanks for the reply. £5k is more than i was expecting. Do you know if there is much difference between this and a standard flat roof? Is there a lot more work involved?

Sponsored Links
if you are overlooked you are unlikely to get planning permission for your balcony :cry:

Thanks Catlad and Big-all

Catlad - If I had some specs I would happily put them on her but unfortunately im still in the design stage and have no idea what spec will be needed. Is there a middle of the road, standard spec of a roof which is tough enough to be used as a balcony?

Big-all. I am aware a balcony is not the easiest thing to get through planning (although I am still hopeful). There are a couple of properties local to me which have them, 1 being 2 doors down and 1 directly opposite. I have put in for initial pre planning and the comments are reasonably positive including the balcony part so I am being optimistic.

I'm not actually too fussed about having a balcony but I just think the house will look rubbish without as there will be a 2.5m flat roof on the front of the house extension.

ok you are aware thats good
have you asked the people either side as there objections could almost definitely scupper your plans

Yeah we are on a corner plot. The initial only concern from the council was reference the people next to us on the other side of the road. We have made sure the balcony will not overlook them in any way shape or form. The lady the other side seems really nice. As we have only just brought the property we have discussed with her what we are looking to do. she seems keen as the house is a bit of an ugly duckling compared to the area so when its finished it should be good for the area. :)

20 m2 of roof with promenade tiles will be £3850. As Catlad' without knowing the spec of the balustrade' that's not included.
Roof frame will need beefing up, but not a major problem.
Price is from deck upwards including insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back