Planning council land to garden use, build extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all basically looking for some advice.
We currently live on a corner plot and have done for 13 years, adjacent to our house is a plot of land 225metres which is amenity land. I have been in contact with the council who own the land and they have said in principle we can purchase the land.
To increase our chances of getting the land I have said the lands intended use is for garden extension- which is accurate. However in the future possibly next year we would like to build a small garage type structure/ bungalow as my nan is becoming more limited as she's getting older and can't cope living alone.
Basically my questions are-
1) we have apply for planning permission to change the use of the land from amenity to garden- do the neighbours have much say/ influence on this
2) is there any time limit/ restrictions for then applying for planning for a small bungalow
3) if planning for small bungalow isn't possible then we thinking of extending our current house with a small garage structure with a living area in- it will be joined to our current house where a bathroom will be fitted.
4) our current house has already been extended has a kitchen extension and upstairs as well as a garage- is there a limit to how much you can extend orignal house? As the whole extension so far has been adjacent (as we have a tiny back garden.
My concerns really are around the land as its a corner plot and open at present where people passing and drivers can easily see the development and worried reguarding complaints- I want to make sure whatever we do is within our rights. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Xx[/i]

Sponsored Links
If during the sale of the land to you the council impose a stipulation in the deeds that the land can never be built on then that would throw a spanner in the works I would imagine.

On any planning application neighbours would have the chance to comment but they would be dismissed if they were not valid complaints.

A planning application for any new development is valid for three years, so it needs to be started before the end of the three year period.

Planning for a self-contained bungalow is likely to be looked at negatively by the Local Authority. They will see it as a separate house, for which a New House planning application would be required.

There is no written figure with regards to extending a dwelling, each application will be looked at on its own merits so it will depend on how it looks and works.

But why not develop the plot and stick a house on it?

Thank you for your reply. Ideally we would love to develop and build on it just not sure how I would go about it, also when I enquired and emailed the council I said it would be for garden use for extra parking and that's what they principle offer is for - as I was unsure if they would sell it if they knew it was for development purposes, thought if we bought it as a garden could always build on it at a later date. Although in the offer in principle they have stated for garden use only- so would need planning again to build on it if didn't extend the house on to it.But building on it is defiantly a long term goal- just not sure best way of going about it. X

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back