Planning/ design tools and software

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know of any good programs out their to help an amateur draw up some plans? I am using google sketch up but I know there are architect programs available. I'm looking for a free trial as eventually I am passing my ideas on to architect to do 'properly'. There's a lot of history here, too much to explain, but this time I would like to take a better hold of the design

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Frankly you can be hard pushed to get better than some tracing paper and a scale rule for plans.

Anyhoo, you can try Doublecad http://www.doublecad.com/Products/DoubleCADXTv3/tabid/1100/Default.aspx there is a free version.

I've got a feeling you can download fully functional Autocadlt for free which works properly for 30days and then you cannot save with it. http://www.autodesk.co.uk/adsk/servlet/download/item?siteID=452932&id=14875323 never tried it though so don't know if you have to prove you're in the industry or a student etc.

Neither are anything like as simple as Sketchup and by the time you've got to grips with either of them you could have probably drawn more plans than you've had hot dinners by hand or with Skecthup.

To use Sketchup for really simple plans turn off perspective, and go into a top view then you are just drawing plans so no 3D.

Read some of the other links here //search.diynot.com/forum_sear...reddymercurystwin&search=Search+Forum&stype=0 there are links and suggestions by other posters in these threads

OpenOffice Draw can also be used. It can be used with scales and has simple dimension drawing tools etc.

Sponsored Links
Try these; They're easy to use, and don't disappear after 30 days.

But can I use them on the bus on the way to work in the morning?

Oh yes, certainly; I do this most days to save time, but it's best only when sitting on the long seat, and also only adviseable when using an A2 size board.
I tried A1 size not long ago and it did cause a few problems, paticularly for the woman with the buggy.

PS why would you want to design your extensin on the bus anyway?

PS why would you want to design your extensin on the bus anyway?

I would imagine because this is usually a very long journey where there is plenty of time to spare.

Many people do stuff on their journeys into work, trains/buses etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back